turd theory

Jeff Aitken ja at svn.net
Fri Aug 4 18:23:45 PDT 2000

The other day I learned something about the difference between OSLIST in
digest form (which some of us receive) and OSLIST one message at a time
(which some of us receive.)

At the risk of using elephant metaphors once again, it's called turd theory.

If we receive one message at a time, we "reply" with our response to the
message. The old message becomes the second half of our new message. It's a
harmless turd which we easily avoid by not scrolling into it. It can be
read when necessary (and sometimes it is necessary, given the many threads
of inquiry.) It's a waste of time to fuss with it.

If we receive the daily digest of messages, each of these turds becomes a
horrendous chore. We have to scroll through each one, often reading the
same thing several times, to get to the bits of new material. Yuck! We wish
they were cut down to small size, just enough to identify the thread of
conversation. When we reply, we always have to cut the digest down to size,
so we are used to fussing with it.

I now have more compassion for those who receive and respond to one message
at a time, and for us digest readers.

Jeff ;-)