Racism and Open Space

rnorris at digital.net rnorris at digital.net
Thu Apr 20 22:25:13 PDT 2000

Hi folks,

The subject of racism really seems to have touched a nerve for alot of
folks.  Harrison recently invited all to engage in civil conversation at
all levels.  I believe racism is one of many ideal topics for this
discussion. So here goes.

The one truth I do know is that race is buried deep in the conciousness of
North Americans from the United States.  It is a construct built into the
foundation of the U.S.... it is institutionalized (racism) into almost
every facet of life.  It is buried so deeply that for most "whites", racism
and it's impact is invisible.

This is one of many unearned priviledges recieved just for having "white"
appearing skin. Priviledge is a form of power recieved.  Every "white"
person in the United Staes is born into this priveledge, whether they want
it or not.  It is automatic in the United States.

Another white skin priviledge is being able to pick and choose how where
and when one deals or confronts racism.  For this reason I am not surprised
at the comment: "I am also noticing the community service movement includes
a majority of white people - incidently doing service mostly for people of
color."

I have found that many "whites", altough well intentioned, are exercising
their "white" priveledge by picking and choosing which service to affiliate
with or what to provide.  My question is...did they ask the people of color
what service were needed and when/where it should be delivered? Or did they
decide on their own that this is what was needed?  I have learned to ask
what people need and want..not assume.  As a "white male" this was a
radical change in my thinking as I was socialized to do just the opposite
(be racist).  When I have asked people of color what they need or wanted me
to do, most told me to help other "whites" become aware of their white skin
priveledge.

I believe OS can be a powerful force in leveling or eliminating the power
(priveledge) so "whites" can truely hear what others need and care about.
Once the power dissappears, "whites" will no longer be able to exercise the
priviledge of picking and choosing where, when, and how to deal with
racism.  What they hear, see and experience in OS will surprise them.
There is another spin on race that chnages it's dynamics.

Is it possible that race is a myth?

White is the absence of color or pigment.  Melanin pigments ones skin. Even
albinos, the lightest skinned of all people have some degree of
melanin...If there are no true "whites" (people with no melanin) then we
all must be people of color with variety of ethnic variations.  For
"whites" in the U.S. to acknowledge this would mean giving up their
"whitness".  The real deep issue for "white" around race would now
surface...giving up power, the one thing most "white" are blindly
accustomed to recieving...from birth.

So what race warms up the most to Open Space....The Human Race.
Rich Norris
Satellite Beach, Florida
(407)779-0531
<rnorris at digital.net>