Racism and Open Space

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 19 09:23:08 PDT 2000

Hi Nancie,
I agree with Patrick in that Open Space is not a movement and that what
really matters is contact, genuine contact, one being with another. As soon
as we have labels, we have restraints.Labels sometimes, though, help to
develop our consciousness about what is acceptable and what is not, and is
an ingredient challenging us to transform, transcend, create new. Sounds to
me like you have a lot of passion to do just that. And I encourage you to
follow what is stirring in your heart.

I have facilitated many Open Space events. Many have had beautiful mixes of
people, real cultural and racial diversity. One event in particular had 52
different cultural groups. Someone said it was like the United Nations. Many
have been trained in facilitating Open Space. Whether they are making money
at it or not, I've never asked.

I concur with your observations that many social activist movements in North
America end up with mostly white people. So, here is my most recent story. I
hope it helps. On this past weekend I facilitated an Open Space Technology
meeting to do with a social issue. The community representation was
great--meaning that instead of a disproportionate number of agencies to the
people who the services were to be provided for, the majority were the
people. 1 % though, were non-white. just as you say. For me, the good good
news is that the people themselves identified as one of their topics that
they would not move forward in their planning until they could figure out
how to address/involve the total cultural diversity and socio economic
diversity of the community. The invitations had been clear, distributed in
many languages, in print and in every way that the planning group could
think of getting word out. And still the diversity had not come out to the
meeting. And the people NOTICED. And are saying it is not okay and they will
reach out and reach out until they figure out how to make contact, interact
with each other, and work together. This was a top vote getter in the
convergence process and was the predominant passionate outcome of the
meeting. There will be more meetings, more open spaces that emerge from this
initial one. In my experience, and with the will of the people from the
first one, they will find a way to be sure there is a diverse mix of people
at these future planning meetings. They have clearly said they will not move
forward until there is. I believe that through the freedom, allowing and
choice made available through Open Space Technology, we have outcomes like
this. I don't know of another way of holding a meeting that would have had
this emerge from the people in the strong passionate way that it did.

Kindest regards,
Birgitt

Birgitt Williams
Make Genuine Contact!
Dalar Associates: organizational
effectiveness consultants

Striving for Success? Ready to exceed
your expectations?

Contact us for consulting services, training,
conference and meeting facilitation,
and keynote speaking.

www.openspacetechnology.com <http://www.openspacetechnology.com>