Racism and Open Space

biver nbiver at mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
Fri Apr 21 11:03:24 PDT 2000

It seems that I am not the only one that has some passionate thoughts about
race.  Seems that demonstrates how important it is to bring it up.

Wanted to briefly respond to just a few things and hope that the dialgue
continues...

I was pleased to read Birgitt's posting of how the process is questioning
things and inviting people of color into the process.  That was one way that I
envisioned Open Space working through some racist barriers.  But it also
reminds me that Open Space is only as diverse and out of the box as the
culmination of voices - the intellect, experience and perspectives of the
participants.  As people committed to equality, what is our responsibility when
working with groups to support the exploration and inclusion of diverse
voices?  As Chris mentioned, he could just as easily do open space for the
Aryan Nations.  This is not to say that the process is racist, but it seems
important to acknowledge our limitations as folks (and I speak only from what I
know in the US) raised in a racist system and that ultimately our capacity to
work together for change is enhanced/limited by our own understandings and
explorations of racist constructs.

And I certainly don't want to dwell in race as a way to define us and limit
us.  However, in the united states we were raised in a race-conscious political
construct.  It's there and denial doesn't seem to be a very effective
strategy.  I am reminded by this every time I turn on the TV or pick up a
magazine.  Just this past week I was reading several articles in Time Magazine
- one on how we can "not repeat" the tragedy of Columbine High School.  It
showed pictures of bunches of White kids and parents.  And Black people that
I've talked to wonder why their kids have been in violent and dangerous
situations for decades and now that it's happening in the white community it
gets front page attention.

It seems like a willingness to critically examine these constucts ultimately
will make us better practitioners of social change, including in our practice
of Open Space Technology.

And just because Open Space came from Africa doesn't mean that it is honoring
that culture.  Historically, white europeans have made a practice of
"borrowing" things from other cultures, claiming it and benefitting from it
without giving anything back to that culture.  I'm not saying that's what's
happening here.  I don't know... I'm just putting it out there.

Don't get me wrong, I see a ray of light with using Open Space Technology.  I
am also learning, however, that some intelligent skepticism is usually in the
best interest of true equality and my own personal growth..
--
Nancie T. Biver
National Service Fellow
nbiver at mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
www.tulane.edu/~amerprom
504-862-8000 x1538
New Orleans, LA

"There are those who see the world as it is and ask, Why?  And there are those
who see the world as it could be and ask, Why not?"  -George Bernard Shaw