Site for an OS Conference

Betty Didcoct betty at ic.org
Fri Apr 7 21:28:41 PDT 2000

I need some advice on two things.

1.I have been asked to do some research to help find a site for the 2001
and 2002 conferences of an international membership organization. I have
led OS at their 1999 conference and will again for their 2000. It looks
like plans are to have OS as a growing part of the conference in the coming
years. (In 1999, we got 3 two hour sessions in a six day conference. For
2000 we have 6 sessions 1.5 hours each.)

Finding a site which can accommodate 175-275 people that have enough
breakout spaces, etc. has been a real challenge--expecially in their price
range of US$65-75/day for room AND board. (use of conference
facilities/rooms/etc. usually not included in that fee.)

Downtown hotels are out. They prefer sites outside of big cities. Quiet
area, with trees around, potential places to walk is great. Near major
airport is necessary,altho the site can be 1-2 hours away, as they will
arrange bus transportation.

2001 will be somewhere in North America, and 2002 somewhere in Europe.

Any ideas? If you do have suggestions, could you also give me as much
contact info as you know?

2. What is the formula for planning for necessary number of breakout
rooms/spaces. I keep forgetting the numbers, and I can't locate it in my
notes!:-(  One breakout space per 20? per 15?

Thanks for your help.

-Betty

PS Thanks to those who have helped with translations for the principles. I
will post all the languages I collect, probably not until I get back from
this year's conference -- sometime in early May.

 Betty Didcoct              TIES Consulting
   betty at ic.org               Building TIES between people to
   phone:   208-682-3550      facilitate better meetings &
   fax:     603-687-4698      healthier organizations

>From  Fri Apr  7 22:08:04 2000
> 1.I have been asked to do some research to help find a site for the 2001
> and 2002 conferences of an international membership organization. I have
> led OS at their 1999 conference and will again for their 2000. It looks
> like plans are to have OS as a growing part of the conference in the coming
> years. (In 1999, we got 3 two hour sessions in a six day conference. For
> 2000 we have 6 sessions 1.5 hours each.)

Betty,

Try the Asilomar Conference Center in Pacific Grove, California.  This website
isn't for the conference center, but for a conference being held there, but its
photos give you a sense of the magnificence of the place.

     http://hwmin.gbgm-umc.org/conferences/PSConWCM/Asilomar.html

The Western Region of the Association of Unity Churches holds its annual
conference there in October for about 500+ people and the three-day cost per
participant for the conference, room and board is in the $260 range which puts
it in the ballpark I would guess.

You'll find lots of information about Asilomar by just searching for it on the
Internet, although I have yet to find its own home page.  (It's part of the
California Park System, which may explain why.)

Ric Giardina
--
   *          *          *
What If Work Actually Got Easier?

--------------9B55BE38EA9BCBAED6D080FE

Betty Didcoct wrote:
2001
have
coming
For
Betty,
This website isn't for the conference center, but for a conference being
held there, but its photos give you a sense of the magnificence of the
place.
The Western Region of the Association of Unity Churches holds its annual
conference there in October for about 500+ people and the three-day cost
per participant for the conference, room and board is in the $260 range
which puts it in the ballpark I would guess.
it on the Internet, although I have yet to find its own home page.
(It's part of the California Park System, which may explain why.)