Self-organizing systems

Richard Charles Holloway learnshops at thresholds.com
Mon Sep 6 19:13:46 PDT 1999

Becoming a learning organization is an interim step, I believe, enroute to
becoming a living organization.  This is why the concept of self-organizing
is such an important one when considering open space (from a systems view).

With the advent of enabling technology that allows complex systems (like
organizations) begin to develop an electronic memory, and the myriad neural
pathways that have grown through the increasing intra/inter-nets and other
communications media, "living" organizations are quite possible.

I'm not sure why "inviting" or "identifying" could be considered as
evolutionary steps beyond the capacity for a system to learn.  They
certainly can describe desirable characteristics of a living organization.

Creating new cultures for these organizations (perhaps culture developed
through and around Open Space...characterized by "inviting" and
"identifying") becomes at once the great challenge and the great
opportunity.  There is no surprise to me why so many involved in
facilitating cultural change within complex organizations look to creating
more flexible, adaptive organizations centered around autonomous yet
connected people.

regards,

Doc
"A mind once stretched by a great idea or new understanding will never fully
return to its original dimensions." William James

Richard Charles Holloway -
P.O. Box 2361, Olympia, WA 98507 USA Telephone 253.539.4014 or 206.568.7730
Thresholds <http://www.thresholds.com>
Meeting Masters <http://www.thresholds.com/masters.html>