Self-organizing systems

Bryan Kidd bryan at hyteam.com.au
Thu Sep 9 00:47:13 PDT 1999

Hi Doc

It seems that there are a number of ways of thinking and discussing these
issues.  I am really interested in what makes sense for the people I am
working with, rather than any theories or concepts I am looking at.  In
this way, I am being myself in helping others to be themselves in
addressing their daily issues of effectiveness.  When we use language like
"The System", and "The Organisation", we allow for the moving of our
authority and responsibility onto those faceless 'things'.

I feel that identity, invitation and living are about people, their
belonging, and their activities.  When I say 'I' and 'Me', and encourage
others to do the same, we recover our identity, authority and
responsibility.

Using systems based concepts helps us understand, but may also allow us
to avoid taking up our individual authority and responsibility.  For me,
learning
in organisations is something created by myself and other selves. These are

not evolutionary steps beyond the capacity for a system to learn.  It is
people
working with daily challenges in their organisations.  In other words, my
understanding of a living organisation is real people working together to
address the issues that are 'living' for them.

In this way, I agree that the 'living organisation' is a valuable way to
think
about how we might manage our various and complex challenges.

Clearly, your contribution has contributed to my learning and thinking.

Cheers and Thanks.

Bryan

"Not trying to be clever, just thinking and working"

Bryan Kidd
HyPerformance Team Works
Melbourne Australia
bryan at hyteam.com.au