Open Space for Start-Ups

owen owen at tmn.com
Mon Nov 15 07:51:49 PST 1999

>1.  What are the questions you would ask the CEO to determine if this is
>really the best course for this group?
*****************************
Major question is -- Is he really ready to let go of pre-determined outcomes?
If he/she already has the plan, there is not much space available to open. I
would also ask about possible reactions to what might be termed "negative"
outcomes. Like, suppose the gathered group basically said this is a lousey idea
-- don't do it, and for sure we won't help. Could be a bummer -- but very
valuable information for all of the pain. However, better pain now than totally
failure down the road.
*******************************
>2.  What would be the challenges of using OS for this?  (This is a young
>organization--is there any determination as to "when" a group is ready for
>OS?)
I can't think of any particular challenges. Sounds like a perfect application
to me. And I suspect the only way to find out if they are "ready" is given them
the chance. I'll bet they are.
**************************************
>3.  What might de-rail the effectiveness of this event?  Would you recommend
>an alternate method, and if so, what might that be?
***************************************
As usual failure to let go, and imposition of pre-determined outcomes will
upend the process. As for an alternative, I can't think of any that would
achieve substantially better results -- and for sure they would cost a lot
more. I would go for a 2 and a hald day OST so that you could get prioritized
results, action teams etc -- in short to be ready for business. Costs for that
would be your fee plus space/logistics (if any) The only other thing I can
think of would be Future Search, which will cost you a lot more in planning
time, and I don't think would get you to any better end-point. I heard of a guy
who is selling Future Searches in a corporate environment for $100K a pop. That
is 5 times what I would charge for an Open Space to do the same thing. But he
will work a lot harder and longer than I will, so on a $/hour basis, his price
is probably a good deal.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive