Open Space for Start-Ups

Dylene Cymraes MCymraes at aol.com
Mon Nov 15 06:01:47 PST 1999

Dear Ones All!

I have not been posting lately--but have been reading avidly.  I have been
asked by the CEO to facilitate a 2 day OS event for a new company seeking to
strategize ways to operate and move forward as a team.  Eventually, this
company will operate "virtually" by having team members connected via the
Internet and other telecommuncation channels.  He has never experienced OS,
but knows the concepts.  My questions to the list:

1.  What are the questions you would ask the CEO to determine if this is
really the best course for this group?

2.  What would be the challenges of using OS for this?  (This is a young
organization--is there any determination as to "when" a group is ready for
OS?)

3.  What might de-rail the effectiveness of this event?  Would you recommend
an alternate method, and if so, what might that be?

Thanks for your input.  On other levels:  I organized a Women's Health Expo
using OS as the philosophy for creating the event--I invited organizations to
come into the space I held open, and gave them room to "do their thing".  It
was touted as the most successful expo most had attended as vendors, and
gained applause from the local community.  I had to smile, because really,
the best part was that each organization showed up in their best spirit--and
had a ball!  We had nearly 50 vendors, and it all self-organized
beautifully...no major headaches, and an unprecedented extremely low no-show
rate.  (Only two for the two days, out of all the vendors signed up.  And
against all advice, we had not charged for tabling at the expo--so the only
buy-in was the desire to be there.  It worked. )
Just wanted to share that piece--OS continues to have such a profound impact
on my life.
Blessings!

Dylene Cymraes
Phone: 410-519-1121