Help: Teens and OS

Esther Ewing eewing at inforamp.net
Wed May 26 13:34:52 PDT 1999

Jay:

I did Open Space in a school setting with teens. The topic was "How to make the
school safer". The teens came and they really "got into" the methodology. There
were two things that were surprising at the time but not in retrospect:

1. The female teenagers took forever to decide which sessions to go to because
they worked by mutual consensus and they didn't want to commit to a session
until they knew who else was going to be there! So there was a lot of
negotiation. It reminded me of my teenage daughters trying to decide what to do
on a Friday night. No one knows until they are walking out the door with their
friends - if then!

2. You need to prep the adults to be very careful not to dominate the
discussions and to allow for discussions to happen. In the case where I did it
in the school, when a kid said something about liking drugs, for example, one
teacher jumped in and made it clear that it was the kind of statement that
wasn't allowed. That effectively squelched the discussion in that room.

In the debrief, the teachers commented that they had been unsure as to how much
to participate and how much to let things happen. If I was doing it again I
would have a meeting with the teachers first to brief them and to help them
have that discussion ahead of time.

Good luck,
In my opinion, teens get into this very enthusiastically and that it is the
adults who are not sure about doing it. The teens in my school, embraced it
with vigour.

Regards
Esther

P.S. Feel free to contact me for more information.