Open Space for a Fledgling Organization

Dylene Cymraes MCymraes at aol.com
Fri Jun 18 09:26:44 PDT 1999

To All:

I am involved in two different situations, each a new organization in the
beginning steps of truly "organizing".  One is a business that has just
received the financing it needs to move ahead, and is developing toward a
"virtual" model, one of people living and working in different parts of the
country, yet telecommuting, teleconferencing, etc., to keep the business
operating.  It has been built with talented, very individualistic people--and
the CEO is looking for a way to structure his organization so it will work at
the best level.  His concern with OS is that he does not want to "lose
control" because of some of the strong personalities involved.
My thought (which I have not shared with him) is that control at this level
is probably illusory anyway, and these people will self-organize--even though
he is trying to find a way to create the structure so it will be ordered.
I guess the question is this: Can an organization begin from the start with
OS as it's basis?  Harrison gave us the model of the steps a traditional
organization goes through--from entrepreneurial, to workable, to proactive,
to Inspired.  (I know I jumped a step, and probably misnamed one, but the
idea is there.)  Is it possible for an organization to begin operation with
OS, and what are the challenges?

This is probably more a management question, but I would love feedback from
the group--and Harrison, if he is not on his boat by now! <G>

Blessings to all--
Dylene