Help with an Open Space for scientists

Richard Charles Holloway learnshops at thresholds.com
Tue Jul 27 23:19:01 PDT 1999

Viv,

I recently facilitated an open space for a number of engineers, along with a
couple of OD consultants who had been working with the engineers.  The OD
consultants (and managers) wanted to include a "presentation" on all of the
work that had been done up to then.  I was resistant (in a nice way, I hope)
and convinced them to "post" the material (and there was a lot of it) on the
walls adjacent to our open space area.  The "Aha" came from the OD folks at
the end of the first day when they noticed that not one engineer or manager
had bothered to look at the material that had been so critical to the
success of the open space.

They (the consultants) are still using open space for this (now ongoing)
meeting and finding that the necessary things are being accomplished without
relying on all of the various OD tools that had been used previously.
Overall, I think that they feel guilty because they're not working as hard
as they were before!

I mention this because it seemed that there was a parallel.  Perhaps your
scientists can "post" their findings somewhere convenient for everyone to
look.  In this case, the allure of learning might draw some folks away from
a topic discussion...but then they're simply using their 2 feet to their
advantage.

regards,

Doc

"To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often."  Winston
Churchill

Richard Charles Holloway -
P.O. Box 2361, Olympia, WA 98507 USA Telephone 253.539.4014 or 206.568.7730
OutSights <http://www.outsights.com>