Question to experienced OS users

owen owen at tmn.com
Tue Apr 27 06:47:09 PDT 1999

At 10:40 AM 4/26/99 -0700, you wrote:

> I facilitated a 3 day Retreat for a client using a day and a half of Open
> Space with another colleague a year ago.  Months later, the client retained
> me to continue some aspects of the work we began the year before, including
> assuring the OS notes and recommendations were distributed to all.  Some of
> the work that was to occur by the client in terms assuring all convenors
> followed through did not occur consistently.
>
> Now, I'm spending alot of time working to "clean up many of the assumptions"
> we put out during the OS process.  Our fundamental assumption (confirmed with
> the division chief) that staff were "truly empowered" to convene a session
> and follow through with their recommendations had several barriers (not all
> of which we, as facilitators could be aware of at the time) i.e.. legal
> constraints, budgetary constraints and most fundamental and intrinsic was
> that this group was just a micro of a macro org that has a systemic culture
> of "hierarchical decision making," so although the division chief was
> supportive of this process of accountability, there were those
> recommendations (stated above) that could not be carried out and thus it
> appears to participants that this process was just lip service.  My main
> lesson in all of this was in tee-ing up the process with clearer directions
> given the systems limitations.
>
> Anyone have thoughts of wisdom or ideas to share to minimize the long-term
> impact of the process "backfiring."   I will be facilitating their next
> process next week.  Thank you.

Being clear about where you want to go before you start is always useful. And
if there are major system constraints, they should be laid on the table.
However, if those contraints are oper-powering -- Open Space is going to create
problems, and probably should not be used.  On the other hand those are exactly
the problems that I believe most organizations should hope for. Tight control,
adherence to the heirarchy etc may be principles dear to the heart of many
executives and managers -- but at the end of the day I do believe that we need
to learn to operate in a very different way, and Open Space can provide the
experience of what that might be like but it is an experience some will find
painful. I often say to folks at the beginning, "There is good news and bad
news about Open Space. The good news is that folks come out of it with real
energy, inspritation and ready to go to work. The bad news is that folks come
out of it with real energy, inspiration.... And if you don't want that, don't
do Open Space. I have also been known to say to some of my senior executive
friends, "You have a choice, You can maintain the illusion of control, or you
can make money."

There is another piece to this puzzle, however, and that is personal
responsibility.  If people (participants) get the idea that every idea -- good
or hairbrained -- is automatically to be implemented, they are clearly in for a
shock. At the end of the Open Space, as at the beginning, progress will be made
only when passion is linked to personal responsibility and personal
responsibility often means going out to find the necessary resources to get a
good idea done. It very often turns out that restrictions more perceived than
real, so making a long list of "can't do" at the beginning is very self
defeating.  But people do have to find their own way -- responsibly.

Neither you, as the facilitator, nor the manager "in charge" could ever have
known all of the road blocks or openings.  Taking responsibility for listing
them all is not very realistic. I do think, however, that we need to take
responsibility for reminding folks of their own responsibility -- before Open
Space, during Open Space and afterward. I think we will all discover that we
never actually leave Open Space... it is just the way things are.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854   USA