Question to experienced OS users

Birgitt Bolton birgitt at worldchat.com
Tue Apr 27 06:32:51 PDT 1999

Hi Karen,
your question is a good one and it is why we emphasize working out the
"givens" so thoroughly ahead of time. I think that Jay's outline of what it
is he does with the client ahead of time is one of the best I've seen and
certainly encompasses much of what I do with every open space. It is the
sponsor, after all, that really opens the space and needs to determine how
much space is really being opened. I make a big point of saying to the
sponsors that it doesn't matter how much space is opened, even a teeny space
is okay---what matters is that they are TRUTHFUL about the amount of space.
This of course is done by establishing the "givens" very clearly including
what the process is for decision after the event. I build into every
contract time to work with the sponsors ahead of the event to clarify
accurate theme (the one they say they want up front and what they usually
really want are often not the same) and time to go through the "givens". The
process of sorting through the "givens" is much harder than one might think.
Mostly because it is about truth and clarity and many companies have a hard
time with this.  So, we take a day before the event to do this. And I build
in a day after the event to figure out how to make the most of it all once
the experience of OS has happened.

Warmest regards,
Birgitt

Birgitt Bolton of Dalar Associates
www.openspacetechnology.com
55 Ravina Cres., Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
 L9G 2E8
phone: 905-648-5775  fax: 905-648-2262