OS in a prison??

MCSTEVENS at aol.com MCSTEVENS at aol.com
Sat Oct 31 05:29:38 PST 1998

Hi Birgitt and all --

I forwarded your first posting to a friend of mine at a high security prison
in NY.  She knows about OS and other interventions of this type.  And she is
of our same mindset and values. Her reply (below) may be helpful.
Cathy

<<yes, that was interesting, however I would not do that with the kids I
work with who are in the most secure center.  we have serious problems
with gangs.....bloods, krips, latin kings, 5 %, and others ......kids
who would love OS to send codes to others and arrange gang hits on staff
and other kids.   in the last 8 months at maccormick we have had 8
serious staff assaults, some  done by a "new "gang member proving
themselves so to speak.  I have not been threatened by any youth, but I
am careful and do not escort any youth to a meeting room who is
questionable in my opinion.

I also treat these youth with respect and if one of them begins to be
rude, I just end the meeting and never say anything rude to them.  I am
not a push over even though I have a softer approach with them than most
staff.  one of the sayings these kids have taught me when some of them
have really used counseling time well and are serious is, do not mistake
kindness for weakness. they will tell me they know I am kind and really
appreciate that and they know that I am a strong person.  so while they
can be trusted to take advantage of situations and make trouble if they
are angry and such, they also have the capacity to do good work in a
very structured situation.  >>