Getting started with Open Space

Peg Holman pholman at email.msn.com
Mon Nov 2 09:15:52 PST 1998

Suzanne,

First, I've forwarded your message to the Open Space e-mail list; it is a
wonderfully supportive community who can give you some thoughts on your
question.  If you want to join the list yourself, the instructions are
below.

Here are my thoughts for you:

Using OS to vitalize your community is a wonderful thing to do.  Open Space
was a way of awakening spirit.  There are numerous stories of people who
felt burned out participating in an OS only to re-capture the energy that
caused them to get involved in the first place.  They re-engage bringing
their new-found excitement and their experience and history.

I would caution against doing an OS just to introduce the concept.  As you
mentioned in your note, the focusing question goes a long ways towards
creating the context of an OS.  An Open Space for the sake of Open Space
just doesn't contain the passion of an OS focused on something people really
care about.  Your second point seems to capture this.  An OS on the
"Saskatoon chapter of the Canadian PR Society we really want" would invite
people into a creative process on something they  care about.

To the question of who to invite, the answer is always informed by the
organizing theme.  You mentioned you'd like to see the community grow.
Given that, I'd encourage you to reach out as far as possible into the
community and potential community for participation.  Greater diversity of
thought seems to bring with it creativity and innovation. You may find more
than the same 6 people energized by the process.

The video does help paint a picture of what an OS looks like.  It is a
useful tool in helping those who sponsor an OS understand the potential.

I hope this helps.  By all means continue to ask questions as you proceed.

Peg Holman
Open Space Institute
425-746-6274

To join OSLIST send the message SUBSCRIBE OSLIST [your firstname lastname]
to LISTSERV at LISTSERV.IDBSU.EDU.   (Leave the subject blank.)  You'll get
instructions on how to participate from there.