[OSList] Canada Conundrum - what do you think - reply to nazi comment

Glenn Waters glenn at watrs.ca
Fri Feb 18 10:03:35 PST 2022

Enough of the nazi crap, please. I can't answer if you've misunderstood something but let me share some facts about what is going on.

In general this is a peaceful group of people. There are however a number of people attending that are not peaceful. They harass, assault (physically and verbally), and torment people who live in this area.

A large portion of the downtown is closed because it has been taken over. This is having real affect on those businesses that are already hanging on by their fingernails to stay in business.

For the residents living in this area the only two nearby grocery stores have closed because they fear for the safety of their staff. Many other stores and restaurants are closed for safety reasons.

Nazi flags have been flown, as have other symbols that are commonly associated with hate and supremacy.

Well documented leaders of white supremacists groups are attending. This does appear to be the minority, but I don't have data. Some have been arrested in the last few days.

Shifting to opinion.

I don't think of what is happening a few kilometres from my home as a protest anymore. It is an occupation that is taking away from the freedoms of those who choose to live and work in Ottawa.

The occupiers assets are not being seized. They are being frozen. As this is an occupation I am perfectly fine that.

The occupiers are incoherent. When asked about their demands it ranges from "Freedom." to "We want to take over the government." There is little substantiation behind any of the remarks. Most engagements with the occupiers does not result in any understanding of what they actually want. My understanding is that the original premise of the protests was around don't force us to be vaccinated, wear masks, or have to have/show a vaccine passport.

I say go ahead and protest. That is your right and I believe in and support those rights. Occupation is not on.