[OSList] OST for social movement strategy

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Tue May 25 09:48:22 PDT 2021

Some thoughts below:

> ‪On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 5:53 AM ‫חן צבי via OSList‬‎ <
> oslist at lists.openspacetech.org> wrote:‬
>
>> Hello wonderful people,
>> first time here.

Hi there and welcome!

>> *Questions:*1. Do you think my instincts here are correct? Do you have
>> any important points  to consider when executing?

Regular Open Spaces are a good idea and I think your instincts are correct.
My advice would be to start smaller, and do them more frequently to let the
momentum and your practice grow.

> 2. The event will need to be held online. How effective is that? Can it
>> hold well hundreds and maybe thousands of people? Do you have any
>> recommendations or resources on how to make it happen well?

Others will weigh in on tools, and probably Qiqo Chat is the way to go.
Many in this community can advise you on that.

Think a bit smaller to start with!

> 3. Probably the biggest issue is time, and how long the event will be. I
>> had a chance to read that 5 hours is quite the minimum to get something
>> substantial. How long do people survive in online events in which they do
>> not move?  Many participants will not have the privilege to make themselves
>> available for so many hours, and that can cause substantial tensions around
>> accessibility and equivalence, do you have any ideas on how to attend
>> to it? I also got a chance to read that the commitment to be present from
>> start to finish is more important than the amount of people coming, how can
>> we take care of that in a long online event where people are volunteers?

"Whoever comes are the right people." is the first principle of Open Space.
And the Law of Mobility is always in effect.

This means that you need to create a compelling invitation for folks. You
need to tap into a need for people to be there, be working and be
connected. You might also need to find ways to help people to participate.
The bottom line is that if this is the most important thing for people to
be doing, they will be there. And it will be for some. But not all. If you
are the only one who feels the need for this, it's unlikely that others
will come. Instead what if you held a short OST meeting to invite others to
join you in this call and explore these questions you have together?

Buy and read the OST User's Guide.

> 4. Does it make sense to produce a condensed and prioritized report after
>> the event that will detail some sort of emergent strategy and plans to meet
>> the purpose presented? Any resources on how to do it well and in an
>> efficient manner?

Not always...it depends. It's all related to your purpose. If you are using
OST for strategic work, then yes. If you are using it just for folks to
connect, then a report with prioritized actions steps doesn't make much
sense. It's all related to the purpose of your event. Whenever I am
designing something like this I always think about why we are doing it and
what needs to happen to support whatever comes next.

> 5. Do you know any experienced practitioners in the UK (maybe you?) that
>> might find this aligned with their values and would want to support with
>> deeper advice?

There are some on this list.  I'll leave them to answer

> I'd appreciate responses to any or all of the questions, thank you for
>> reading !

Good luck!

Chris

>> Past archives can be viewed here:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/oslist@lists.openspacetech.org

> Past archives can be viewed here:

---
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Facilitation - Training - Process Design - Strategy
Complexity - Art of Hosting
http://www.chriscorrigan.com

Grateful to live on Nex̱wlélex̱wm (Bowen Island), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh territory,