[OSList] doubt about how to begin OS

Michael M Pannwitz mmpannwitz at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 07:46:38 PDT 2021

Dear Arantxa,

to me, walking the circle and asking folks to look at the person to
their right and to their left and behind themselves (in case there are
concentric circles) and across the circle is a simple and effective
means of "focusing the group".

This expression "focusing the group" does not mean that I focus on the
group or that I focus the group on their issues or tasks but that the
group focuses on itself at this moment at the beginning of the os
process... it is the first impulse for expanding the space for
selforganisation. I call it expanding the space for the forces of
selforganisation because I assume that the force of selforganisation is
real and existing just as the force of earth magnetism with the
difference that it is not necessary to expand space for magnetism.

In groups of ourselves, in our organisations and in our systems it is
necessary to expand the space for the force of selforganisation because
most of the stuff that goes on in groups, organisations and systems is
focused on control.
Control is the main enemy of selforganisation.

This impulse at the beginning always appears to be a natural and
pleasant impulse... you will see how folks start smiling. It is the
first moment in which they realize that nothing will happen at this
event unless they themselves speak up, move, interact, exchange,
cooperate, fight, embrace and whatever it needs to eventually come to
action.

In my introduction -  still walking the circle - I say a few things
about the large, varied and valuable amount of experience present within
the group in the circle. And keep looking at everyone. If there are 50
folks with an average of perhaps 40 years, I might say something like:
"Looking around you see the doors to 50 treasure chests filled with 1855
years of life experience... and centuries of work experience. Each of
these treasure chests is filled with vast libraries full of knowledge,
experience, dreams, skills, visions. You can go onto a treasure hunt in
the next three days opening the doors and opening your own door... give
away your treasures and value those of the others."

After that I repeat the Major Theme and start describing the process...
still walking the circle and stopping in front of the principles,
butterfly and bumble bee, the one Law and the admonition (Be prepared to
be surprised!) poste on the walls beyond the circle.

To me, the circle is central not only because it is common to all
cultures but also because it is the perfect geometry to see and talk to
each other... there is no front, there are no rows... but there is
movement exemplified by me walking the circle

When I started with ost back in 1996 I headed the suggestion from
Harrison to do it by the book (his book) and after having done that a
dozen times my own style evolved (and eventually, after 200 events and
trainings) I published a book on "my way".

Wish you a wonderful time for your first os and in case you are in the
basque country, invite one of the grand os-facilitators to be part of
your team in exchange of being part of his or her team in return...

Greetings and love from Berlin
mmp

Am 10.07.2021 um 12:37 schrieb arantxa hergueta bravo via OSList:
 > Hi to you all!
 >
 > May name is Arantxa. I´m new here, and I´m new in Open Space too. In a
 > few days I will facilitate my first OS and to do so I´ve been doing some
 > reading and talking with a friend, who knows very well the whole process.
 >
 > I´ve got a bunch of doubts, but want to share one specially with you. If
 > someone wants to share her/his experience or ideas It´ll be terrific.
 > I´ll try to explain it. It´s been years that I don´t write in English,
 > so…lets´see!
 >
 > My friend has told me, once the “event” promoter has made a
 > presentation, he comes from outside the participants circle, invites
 > everybody to breathe, look each other and so, and, then, he comes into
 > the circle and walks inside it (walks the circle) looking to each of the
 > participants in order to greet them. My questions: How do you do it? How
 > do you begin? Do you “walk the circle”? Why? How does it make you feel?
 >
 > And that´s all for now.
 >
 > Thank you very much!!!
 >
 > And have a beautiful day!

 > 	Libre de virus. www.avast.com

 > Past archives can be viewed here:

Michael M Pannwitz
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
++49 - 30-772 8000     mmpannwitz at gmail.com

See the Open Space World Map with 511 Open Space Workers living in 77
countries and active in 142 countries worldwide: www.openspaceworldmap.org

And see books/ebooks and task cards on open space and other related
treasures, most in German, some in English, some multilingual:
https://www.westkreuz-verlag.de/de/Kommunikation