[OSList] This list serve is antiquated big time

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Thu Jan 28 07:24:08 PST 2021

Hi Mark,

The software we use is version 2.1.23 of GNU MailMan, which is an open
source email distribution list management platform. Our MailMan service
is provided for free by DreamHost.com, who also provides free webhosting
service to the Open Space Institute - U.S. DreamHost.com has been a
great company, and they offer free webhosting to 501(c)(3) non-profits.

I agree that the MailMan needs an major upgrade. An upgrade is not
something offered by DreamHost, though I can install it on the DreamHost
servers. But I hope no one thinks we are back in the "stone ages", or
"when the internet was first invented". I treasure your passion for
truth, but I don't like being disrespected or dishonored, especially
with falsehoods. Here are the facts.

1) The date of the invention of the internet is somewhat fuzzy, but the
real guy who invented the internet (standing on the shoulders of many
others) was Vinton Cerf, who designed the TCP/IP protocols in the
1970's. TCP/IP was accepted as the ARPANET protocol in 1983.

2) Version 2.1.23 GNU MailMan is relatively old, released in August
2016. The latest 2.x version is 2.1.34 released in June of 2020. But it
just minor issues. I'd like to update to version 3.3.2 (Nov 6, 2020).
which has a more modern interface.

3) We are an EMAIL based system. For most people, it's not going to look
very different, no matter what system we use. Everyone gets to use their
own email program. We aren't forcing anyone to use a website, download
an app to their phones, etc.

4) There are other closed platforms we could use. (Like GoogleGroups,
Groups.IO, etc. etc.). These platforms do have their own community
standards, and they do forbid certain conversations. I don't think that
is appropriate for the main Open Space online conversation. I hope we
can stay independent.

Mark - I am valuing your feedback. We do need a major upgrade, for
multiple reasons beyond your personal experience of the formatting
(which I have explained how you can fix in an earlier email). But I
don't think you are being fair or accurate.

     Harold

--
Harold Shinsato
harold at shinsato.com <mailto:harold at shinsato.com>