[OSList] OST to produce/revise a report

Michael M Pannwitz mmpannwitz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 05:38:05 PDT 2020

Dear Nathan,

if I understand you right, the second part of an OST is the same thing
that is called Action Planning.

In your case, however, the goal seems to be to get some improved
recommendations.

Now, recommendations are not actions.

If you like actions rather than recommendations, simply invite those
that the recommendations are directed to and have them be part of the
OST. Under that condition the results are not recommendations but
actions that the participants present take responsibilities for and act on.

Some time after the Action Planning, perhaps 4 weeks or 8 weeks, you
would have what is called a "Next Step gathering" in which all those
involved in the action are invited (sometimes they bring more people
with them that originally were not at the OST). They then would
exchanged among each other what has been achieved up to this point and
then plan the next step... and so forth. Have as many Next Step meetings
as the participants want.

Back to the Action Planning: After you are through with the first part
and people had a chance to read the Book of Proceedings (these might
also be the reports from the break out sessions posted on pinboards or
other devices) they would return to the circle and, similar to the
original round of issues, would write down, read to the group and post
"actions". Folks would then gather at the "actions" that they want to
participate in and discuss it for a few minutes and think of what be the
very first step they agree on to take. At this time it is a good idea to
have your diaries with you so that folks could note the date, the time
of day and the place where the group for a particular action would gather.

Organizing an ost with a divergent group, including all folks that are
part of the issue, invariably leads to action and to a load of unleashed
self organisation.
Gathereing recommendations and perhaps even prioritizing them before you
pass them on I would only recommend if the folks wanting the
recommendations were to pay every participant a decent fee for their
work. That would be a test to see what recommendations are worth to them.

Have a great day and stay healthy
greetings from Berlin
mmp