[OSList] Questions on continuous Open Space

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Mon Jun 8 15:51:17 PDT 2020

some thoughts on your questions below, jake.  but first, you'll want to
find the univ of kentucky rural health system story in harrison's tales
from open space.  here are the rules they came up with.  this must be one
of my top five shared bits of os lore:  michaelherman.com/ky

>    - Within a continuous Open Space container, do you think that all
>    meetings among the group should be announced to everyone? That is, should
>    everyone be invited to every meeting? What happens if two people just want
>    to have coffee and catch-up? In the Youth for Europe case study, the
>    convener of the meeting determined whom to invite, which might not be
>    everyone. It's like a mini-Open Space, rather than a meeting within an Open
>    Space. But it can also get cliquish that way, and it seems less transparent.
>
> on invitations, modern calendar software is already a marketplace wall.
nothing in os requires that everyone be invited, or even that all session
are posted.  people meet up in the bar, schedule and not, all the time.
people say, "let's go to dinner."  no notes are posted.  all fine.  the uk
rules address this a little differently.

>    - Is it beneficial to have a theme? It doesn't seem like either
>    organization had a theme in the case studies for the overall Open Space.
>    Perhaps their purpose was their theme... In Youth for Europe, there was a
>    theme for individual meetings, i.e., the mini-Open Spaces.
>
> on theme, there is already some implied purpose for your work.  if you can
articulate it, great.  i'd think it'd be obvious.  if not, gather first
impressions, write them down.  revisit in a month.  meanwhile, the work is
the work.

>    - Any suggestions on how to handle push notification overload? So many
>    meetings might start getting called that people's inboxes are stuffed, and
>    they tone out.
>
> with only 9 people involved, you might try a physical wall.  also, there
is much to learn from the agile movement.  what you're talking about might
learn a lot from kanban, scrum and enterprise scrum.  more than i can say
here.  but in my experience, those are all effectively alternative versions
of ongoing open space.  they've been used a lot, but are all made better
with insights from what we do in os meetings.  i'd be glad to chat about
them with you.  or can share  links when website updating is done this week.

michael