[OSList] How do you "hold space?"

Jake Yeager jacob.yeager at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 15:54:16 PST 2020

This was such a rich thread. Thank you all for sharing.

My "understanding" of OST and the facilitator's role deepens the more I
engage in spiritual practices.

At some point I imagine the notion of "me" as an "OST facilitator" will
also fall away. Then, I am fully present--hell, I AM the present. :) Or
just I AM. And the notion of the "group" falls away too.

Much love all

Jake
________________

When the mind is quiet, the sun of your heart will shine once again, and
you will be free of problems.
 - Robert Adams <http://www.robert-adams.info/>

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 1:03 PM Thomas Perret via OSList <

> [...]
>>
>>> Dear Jake and you others, (after finishing this piece I suggest you
>>> first get yourself a cup of coffee or other beverage you cherish, find a
>>> couch and take a little time to read this lengthy piece)
>>>
>>> I as facilitator will increasingly get into the mode of "total presence
>>> and absolute invisibility" by reflection. As I inch up, or millimeter
>>> up, in this regard the easier does it get to hold "time and space".
>>>
>>> Now, this is both more than rocket science as well as simple. However,
>>> and this is the tough part, not easy.
>>> After pushing myself in the early years of my practice I eventually
>>> realized that "total presence and absolute invisibility" requires
>>> life-long attention and learning. As does holding time and space. Both
>>> are part of this. And if you start with OST late in life, as I did at
>>> the age of 56 and three decades of OD and related stuff behind me, its
>>> mainly a lot of un-learning.
>>>
>>> Okay, here are some of the things I reflect on... best with others right
>>> during an ost event (I actually plan timeslots for this in the agenda
>>> the team has for itself):
>>>
>>> --- Being unattached to outcome and not getting involved in content is a
>>> prerequisite for having the high energy required for attaining the mode
>>> of "present and invisible." (I think it was HO who tells the story of
>>> being asked by someone during an OST event about apparently doing
>>> nothing... and him responding with "Doing nothing is what I get paid
>>> for.").
>>> --- One thing I can arrange for and reflect on before getting into a
>>> facilitator situtation, is not to facilitate an ost event in a situation
>>> that I have stakes in (like in my own organisation).
>>> One practice tested way is to help oneself and other facilitators in
>>> this regard is to arrange for a "rain check" system: I work as
>>> facilitator without pay in your organisation and you in turn work as
>>> facilitator without pay in mine. That allows us in each case to be fully
>>> participant in a setting we have stakes in. And for lots of learning.
>>> Which happens easily in sustainably reflecting my practice.
>>> --- One more thing I can arrange for once it is clear that I am
>>> facilitator in a specific event is to have an assistant who supports me
>>> in doing nothing and reminds me to stay out of the way. (This reminds me
>>> of a story about one of the Ceasars in Rome who hired someone to quietly
>>> tell him that he is not God when everyone adored, admired, fell on his
>>> knews before him.) The assistant, in turn, has a team to take care of
>>> all the nitty-gritty stuff around setting up the event and caring for
>>> the event without being space invadors.
>>>
>>> --- What is central to my role as facilitator in regard to
>>> "holding/expanding time and space for the unfolding of the force of
>>> selforganisation"?
>>> OST has this as its central characteristic. I know of no
>>> approach/method/process/etc. that has "holding/expanding time and space
>>> for the unfolding of the force of selforganisation" as its central

>>> https://www.westkreuz-verlag.de/de/Kommunikation