[OSList] How do you "hold space?"

Harrison Owen hhowensr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 08:24:53 PST 2020

Long, long ago I described Holding Space as being “totally present and absolutely invisible.” A paradox for sure, but that is my experience. With a little practice and intention you can be totally immersed in the group and be miles away. Don’t ask me how that happens…I don’t have a clue – or at least any sort of useful clue for the situation. But it does happen and I have 35 years of experience… which proves little except possibly that I am nuttier than the next guy. On a slightly more serious note some bright soul computed that 95% of all communication is non-verbal. How she/he arrived at that figure, I don’t know, but it works for me. It seems to me that (often) 100% of facilitation is verbal. I think there might be a conflict somewhere? Could it not be the case that in our attempt to facilitate communication we in fact get in the way?

I assume that your AVP doesn’t have any children? If she did would know all about “eyes in back of the head” Every woman’s got them, and I am sure that my Mother had at least 4 pairsJ Men seem to be a little bit impaired in the department, but they can learn (or un-learn as the case may be.)

ho