[OSList] How do you "hold space?"

Jeff Aitken r.jeff.aitken at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 14:58:07 PST 2020

Hi Jake. For me, to hold space is to attend to the field that extends
beyond the center of the opening circle out to wherever participants are
moving.

Harrison's famous story is to be sitting at the hotel bar, while
participants are following the law of mobility into breakouts and butterfly
conversations around the grounds. Choosing your level of engagement is at
the core of the law.

It sounds like the feedback is to stay a bit closer to the center of the
opening circle, so that the fact you are holding the field is more
apparent. That's a practice in sensing the field.

I often stay nearby for a while, then move away, then come back as the
energy of the event turns toward closing.

It also can take particular attention to hold space in an organization of
which you are a member. If it seems ok for me to do it at all, I might also
invite an outside cofacilitator who can notice subtle dynamics that i miss.
Such as in the important transition after the OST into the daily work and
dynamics of the organization.

Jeff
Telegraph Hill, San Francisco

On Sat, Feb 8, 2020, 11:41 AM Chris Corrigan via OSList <