[OSList] How do you "hold space?"

Jake Yeager jacob.yeager at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 10:44:49 PST 2020

Many questions these days. Thank you for entertaining them. :)

This past week, I facilitated an eight-hour Open Space split across two
half-days. The attendees were an Organizational Development team, of which
I am a member. My AVP sponsored the event, because we had recently merged
with another group, and there was lack of clarity. So, our theme was: "Who
are we, and how do we collaborate to drive success?" Also, my AVP--who is a
leader in Learning & Development--wanted to experience Open Space in order
to understand it better as it is new to my firm.

Since I am a fledgling facilitator, I chose not to participate in the
breakout sessions, even though I am part of the group. I wanted to make
sure that I provided the best experience for everyone, and participating
would have dampened my focus. I shared this with my manager, after she
inquired after the first day why I had not participated.

Long story short, after the event, my manager had major concerns how I
facilitated the event. I had gone for long walks while the group was
working, and she felt that was very risky. I told her that the
facilitator's role is to remain "invisible" to allow the group to build its
capacity for self-management. She said that our firm's culture is very
hierarchical and that "baby steps" are needed. She suggested even
intervening in a group if it gets "stuck." I believe I mentioned that
intervening is not part of Open Space facilitation.

So my question is: how do you "hold space?" I found Chris's description on
his website: "an Open Space Technology facilitator is neither seen nor
heard, but his or her presence is 'felt.'" I guess by going for long walks
and not being in the room, my presence was not "felt." One of my colleagues
provided feedback that by not being there, it didn't seem like I cared.
This is definitely not the case. I went on long walks as an act of love,
not negligence.

Anyway, would love your thoughts.

Thanks,
Jake

When the mind is quiet, the sun of your heart will shine once again, and
you will be free of problems.
 - Robert Adams <http://www.robert-adams.info/>