[OSList] A Possible Future for Journalism

Peggy Holman peggy at peggyholman.com
Sun Apr 26 15:59:49 PDT 2020

Hi all,
I hope you are staying well in these strange times. Shelter in place has given me time for some writing I’ve been wanting to do. Nonprofit Quarterly just published my take on a possible future for journalism: How Can We Emerge from the Pandemic with the Journalism We Need? <https://bit.ly/EmergingJournalism>
I thought about whether it was appropriate to share this article on a list dedicated to Open Space. I’ll admit it is a bit of a stretch. I chose to do so because in the last few years, I’ve seen an increasing intersection between community conversation and journalistic storytelling in order to serve the needs of civil society.
So if you’re interested, please take a look at this story of hope & possibility. It is illustrated with examples of the intrepid adventurers who are reinventing journalism. Using the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution as a frame, it offers five trends.
From:
Monocultural to multicultural
Lecturing to listening
Problems to possibilities