[OSList] Ikigai and WOSONOS

Daniel Mezick dan at newtechusa.net
Thu Oct 24 19:26:25 PDT 2019

Greetings,

I plan to enjoy WOSONOS this weekend, by interacting with all who elect to be there.

I came across this Japanese word recently; it describes how I feel about working in Open Space.

Learning this word helped me to more fully understand my motivations around this:

Ikigai (生き甲斐, pronounced [ikiɡai] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA/Japanese>) is a Japanese <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_language> concept that means "a reason for being." The word "ikigai" is usually used to indicate the source of value in one's life or the things that make one's life worthwhile.[1] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikigai#cite_note-:1-1> The word translated to English roughly means "thing that you live for" or "the reason for which you wake up in the morning."[2] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikigai#cite_note-2> Each individual's ikigai is personal to them and specific to their lives, values <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_(ethics)> and beliefs <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belief>. It reflects the inner self <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-realization> of an individual and expresses that faithfully, while simultaneously creating a mental state <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_state> in which the individual feels at ease. Activities that allow one to feel ikigai are never forced on an individual; they are often spontaneous, and always undertaken willingly, giving the individual satisfaction and a sense of meaning to life.[1] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikigai#cite_note-:1-1>

See you soon.

(this space intentionally left blank)