[OSList] Relationship between Appreciative Inquiry and OST?

Chris Kloth chris.kloth at got2change.com
Mon Jun 24 18:40:10 PDT 2019

Jake, I have a few thoughts.

The first is that Peggy's link to the essays in the AI Practitioner
will help you sort this out.

I learned about OST from Harrison in the very early years. I learned
AI from David before there was a book. I have used both separately and
together based on the unique context of each project. I have worked
using OST hundreds of times. I have used AI about a dozen times and
each time it worked incredibly well... and a few of those were
followed up by use of OST at some point. Credit for the selection of
either approach, as well as the success of the process, lies with the
people in the system, who chose to organize to make a difference in
their worlds.

Your question about whether your own unconscious bias is part of your
reaction is worth exploring. However, if you have been taught in a way
that leaves the impression that the generative questions guide the
participants in ways controlled by anyone other than the participants,
then you may also may want to examine the knowledge and biases of
whoever is teaching you. I have seen both approaches taught and
managed badly.

Finally, I am always curious about what is behind the question, "what
is the relationship between" this methodology or that. I have seen the
same question raised by devotees of Future Search, Search, World Cafe,
ToP, and others.
I'm not sure anymore what portion of the members of this list use one
or more approaches to their work, including OST. My impression is
that, like most similar groups, there are some true believers and some
mix and matchers. Not very scientific or academic distinctions... I'm
sure the bell curve applies somehow. I have no judgement here.

However, I very recently found myself in a similar conversation with
some of my musician friends and colleagues. If you  will indulge me,
please, And trust that this will all connect (at least in my own
peculiar mind) here is where I find myself mucking about tonight:

 From my perspective the more interesting questions on this list have
to do with the underlying values and beliefs that influence how we
enter into communion with the people we work with... what are the
deeper meanings of self-organization, spirit, emergence, power and the
powers of narrative and image.

As an amateur ethno-musicologist I love to explore the relationship of
of musical genres and methods across cultures. It is a fun journey,
whether alone or with others.

But as a performing musician, the connection with an audience during a
performance is rooted in the deeper questions of spirit, emergence,
power, openness and self organization (especially in a jam session)...
no matter whether the show is rooted in one musical genre or many.

Whether it is OST or AI or ... or jazz, or blues, or classical or...
the connection and work are rooted in our answers to the deeper
questions.

For what it is worth...

Shalom,

Chris Kloth