[OSList] Relationship between Appreciative Inquiry and OST?

Jake Yeager jacob.yeager at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 05:13:06 PDT 2019

Hey everyone,

First, thank you all for entertaining my questions! I really appreciate
your responses: they help me learn a great deal and to recognize the--often
erroneous!--assumptions I am making.

That said, I have another question! :) What do you find to be the
relationship between Appreciative Inquiry (AI) and OST?

I am studying AI as part of my OD training at work, and it doesn't sit 100%
with me like Open Space does. I think it's because I feel it is
manipulative, that is, it uses generative questions to guide participants'
trajectory as opposed to letting the participants themselves choose their
trajectory. However, AI appears to be very effective, so I wonder if my
resistance is due to some unconscious bias I have.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Much love,
Jake

When the mind is quiet, the sun of your heart will shine once again, and
you will be free of problems.
 - Robert Adams <http://www.robert-adams.info/>