[OSList] OpenSpaceAgility + InvitingLeadership workshops following WOSONOS 2019

Daniel Mezick dan at newtechusa.net
Sat Jun 22 04:57:48 PDT 2019

Greetings All,

This is a note to let you know that I am planning to deliver a combined 1-day course in OpenSpace Agility and Inviting Leadership on Monday 10/28, immediately following the WOSONOS event in College Park Maryland. The venue is just down the street from the Cherry Hill facility where WOSONOS is taking place. I plan to teach this with some friends also attending the WOSONOS. All participants get the learning, the lunch, a copy of the Inviting Leadership book and OpenSpace Agility Handbook, and also a set of essential resources (checklists, book lists and other resources) to help with execution. Everything to get started is here.

This is where you can learn more:
https://www.openspaceagility.com

This is where you can register:

OpenSpace Agility Workshop 11/28 in College Park MD:
https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/4279385

The rest of what follows is background info you might enjoy. I plan to see you of you attend the WOSOSOS this year, and I also hope to also see you class.

From my undisclosed location in North Guilford CT USA,
-Daniel

Agile Change. Does It Actually Work?

Many of us here on OSLIST are people who do Agile-related work for a living. Bringing change to organizations is not simple, but it can be greatly simplified. It all depends on the space defined by company leaders.

OpenSpace Agility (OSA) is a simple timeline & engagement model for introducing Agile change.  People are now using it the world over. It is a very simple timeline of 45 to 90 days that starts and ends in Open Space. Everyone is invited to both events. The OSA story has a beginning, a middle and an end and is designed to create a story of change in 90 day segments. Each segment begins and ends in Open Space.

At the first OST event, the Host explains that 90 days of experimentation, inside some clearly defined constraints, starts today, at this OST meeting. The Host also announces the next OST event some 45 to 90 days hence, and how that meeting will serve as a kind of referendum on the experimentation of the past. The second meeting is also an opportunity to discuss the future. Everything else about the 1st meeting is a typical OST event, with invite/theme/newsroom/proceedings, and so on.

Agile is notorious for failing in the largest enterprises. Often, the change is executed as some kind of top-down mandate, and all to often no one is invited into anything at all. The decisions happen behind closed doors and are "rolled out." There is no real regard for the people affected.

Indeed, the Agile frameworks offer no guidance on how to actually engage people. In general, in the Agile industry, the assumption is that "magic happens here." But it usually doesn't. There is no emphasis on employee engagement, or the essential nature of it. The assumption is that the practices will make everything great. There is no distinction made between willing and unwilling people as the change is implemented.

The reality is that willing & engaged people power most all of any improvement, while the unwilling disengaged people power most of the problems. Gallup has a mound of data the quantifies the importance of engaged employees. Here it is:

Gallup Reports:
https://news.gallup.com/topic/employee_engagement.aspx

Gallup Engagement Data and Methods:
https://www.gallup.com/178685/methodology-center.aspx

Via the invitational approach, OSA engages more people in the change. The OSA workshop takes participants quickly through the theory and the majority of the day is spent in discussions and exercises on how the before/after Open Space structure is arranged and implemented. There is a strong emphasis on preparing leaders for OST and the OSA timeline of events.

The class is limited to 20 people and includes lunch. If the above brief explanation is resonating with you, I hope you will investigate the OSA website and consider attending this class after the WOSONOS. Everyone attending is assumed to have a good working knowledge of OST, which is why it is scheduled after (instead of before) the WOSONOS event.

This is where you can learn more:
https://www.openspaceagility.com

This is where you can register:

OpenSpace Agility Workshop 11/28 in College Park MD:
https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/4279385

Daniel Mezick
Phone: 203 915 7248
Bio & Contact Info: http://www.DanielMezick.com <http://www.danielmezick.com/>