[OSList] Government community engagement

Birgitt Williams birgitt at dalarinternational.com
Sun Jun 9 13:10:52 PDT 2019

Hi Eric,
It seems that you have a longer term consulting assignment with
pre-determined outcomes asked of you.
The County Recovery Manager probably reports to some type of Council, and
thus has a particular mandate and pre-determined outcomes.
During the year, meetings have taken place. The meetings have engaged
people, data has been generated and collected.
Within a community, various community agencies including non-profit
organizations and private businesses have been following their own mandates
and carrying on with the work regardless of what is happening with this
process.
Extra relief money is soon to happen and to handle money there must be
mechanisms in place that will have their own parameters and expected
outcomes.

Is that about right?
Have people felt any value from the meetings to date?
Has the great effort by people and agencies in the community been
acknowledged and appreciated?

And now, for some reason, there is a desire of a multi-sector meeting for
the purpose of encouraging community based activities.

Emerging from all of the above is the need for well done planning to get at
the right theme for a multi-sector meeting, with the right people. As well
as this, in our Genuine Contact way of working with OST, we would help the
client to discern the many implicit givens that are in place (the list
above conveys many of these to me) and make them explicit. By making them
explicit, a clearer picture emerges of how much space is truly being
opened, whether it is a big space or a teeny tiny space. Regardless of its
scope, the size of the space being opened needs to be authentic.
Incorrectly convey that the space is bigger than it is, and you will run
into problems. Incorrectly convey that the space is smaller than it is and
you will run into problems. Getting the amount of space just right, with
clarity in the invitation including what the givens are, and you have your
best chance for a positive experience for having used OST. I measure the
positive experience as what one experiences as results after the OST
meeting.

I feel a bit like being in the Goldilocks and the Three Bears story.

I would certainly go ahead and propose OST as the best meeting format to
use for what you are wanting to accomplish. A true, well done OST meeting,
not an OST with a twist or what I laughingly think of as a twisted Open
Space. When you propose OST, hold steady with using it in its intended form
and essence.

in genuine contact,
Birgitt

*Birgitt Williams*
*Supporting Next Level Leadership "Leading So People Will Lead"*
Author, Senior Consultant, President Dalar International Consultancy, Inc
<http://www.dalarinternational.com/>
Founder Genuine Contact Program
<http://www.dalarinternational.com/genuine-contact>
Co-owner Genuine Contact Group, LLC
<https://genuinecontact.net/about/co-owners/>
Founder Extraordinary Leadership Network
<http://www.extraordinaryleadershipnetwork.com/>

*Learn with us for your growth and development for the new leadership
paradigm *

Genuine Contact Summer Academy
<https://www.dalarinternational.com/summer-academy-2019/> theme is Genuine
Contact: a holistic approach to change June 22-28, 2019 Kitchener-Waterloo,
Ontario, Canada--early bird registration price still in effect.
Approximately 30 participants from many countries taking a deep dive into
working with change, learning more about thriving in today's performance
environment of constant change.

*Trail-Blazing Membership to the International Community of Practice
Available Now <https://genuinecontact.net/membership/>--*the international
community of practice working with the Genuine Contact program since 2001
is now evolving itself as a membership organization. Trail Blazing members
have the opportunity from now through August 2019 to help develop the
membership model. I hope that you will become a Trail-Blazing Member,
adding your support to the growth of Genuine Contact in the world...and
there are membership benefits that are sure to make this worth your
commitment.

PO Box 19373, Raleigh, NC, USA 27613
Phone: 01-919-522-7750

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 10:53 PM Eric M. Kapono via OSList <