[OSList] open message to Nick Martin

Michael M Pannwitz mmpannwitz at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 04:06:44 PDT 2019

Dear Marei,

this thorough review of „OST with a twist“ is a gem.

It would not surprise me if it would become an eye-opener for spotting
other „OST with a twist“.

 From me, several thoughts:

--- the OST process has no trademark and is not owned by any one
individual and Harrison sometimes points out that he is not the inventor
but simply stumbled onto it with the help of some earthly spirits, in
fact exactly two of them BUT if you use it, you are committing yourself
to pass on what you learned

--- one of the mantras for me has become Critical Practice Reflection
(CPR, not trademarked, mentioned by one of the elders): "Reflect on the
OST event that I just facilitated and look for one thing I would do
without next time I facilitate an event"

--- this almost always has a control reduction effect. Thats important
because I know that a sure fire way to reduce the space for
selforganisation is "control". The space shrinks and if it disappears
altogether, whoosh the group, organisation or system evaporates(but dont
dispair, it never shrinks to absolut zero and no matter how much it
shrunk it will blow up again under supportive conditions such as
described in the book

--- doing one thing less also makes the process simpler... and, if it
works, easier to reproduce. And this is important, if OST is to spread.
I am interested in having many folks getting into using the OST approach
because I know how liberating it is to selforganise. OST is available to
everyone, not just the caste of specialized facilitators

And one last thing: Nothing can be partially inspired by xyz if you
remove the core notion of xyz.

Greetings from a very hot day in Berlin... here the government of Berlin
no longer uses the neutral term "climate change" but "climate heating"
to scare us, I is scared!

mmp

Michael M Pannwitz
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
++49 - 30-772 8000
mmpannwitz at gmail.com

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 483 resident Open
Space Workers in 76 countries working in a total of 141 countries worldwide
www.openspaceworldmap.org

At my publisher you find books and task cards on open space, most in
German, some in English, some as ebooks, some multilingual
https://www.westkreuz-verlag.de/de/Kommunikation