[OSList] Okay...Forget Certification then...How about Co-Creating a NEW OST ASSOCIATION? Such as...THE International Association for Peace and Human Understanding...?

Tony Budak tonybudak at tbmw.org
Tue Aug 20 08:36:14 PDT 2019

 From Devin Balkind: https://wiki.p2pfoundation.net/Spokes_Council_Model

"Occupy Sandy, which took place about a year after Occupy Wall Street,
worked a bit differently. We recognized the flaw in a council of
affinity groups and instead organized a spokes council around projects.
Project members, unlike group members, had to agree to maintain a
membership list, vouch for their members, and articulate success metrics
that the group had to meet to remain in good standing with the council.
Those elements made a world of difference. The Occupy Sandy Project
Council successfully managed hundreds of thousands of dollars through a
consensus-based process that, while sometimes contentious and stressful,
actually succeeded in allocating funds to impactful projects in
transparent ways that won the respect of myriads of people — from city
officials to direct action organizers. I've been trying to translate
this "project spokescouncil" approach to other types of organizations
ever since, with some success.

Here's how I've been applying these principles:

*Instead of creating an "organization," create a charter that explains
how to run a network. *

**

*Instead of figuring out all the things you want your organization to
do, find people already doing these things and invite them to join your
network. *

**

*Instead of creating a central administration to run the network,
encourage projects to commit to performing the various functions needed
to sustain the network, including administrative ones. *

One of the great features of the project spokescouncil approach is that
participating projects don't have to agree on anything more than a
charter. For-profits, nonprofits, cooperatives, coalitions, grassroots
projects, and other groups can all coexist without forcing their
processes on each other"