[OSList] What does holding space involve - with a nudge

Marai Kiele genuine-contact at joyful-together.com
Mon Aug 19 09:59:56 PDT 2019

Greetings,

I open up a new thread and bring over here what was written before in two other emails:

	Harrison Owen: Holding Space involves being “totally present and absolutely invisible”

	Paul Levy: Holding Space involves being gently present, respectfully absent and conveniently and softly unnoticed.

I appreciate both descriptions and find them helpful and inspiring for me to (once again) wonder:

	What does holding space involve…
	   for me?
	   for you?

I invite an exploration of this question further down.
With a little nudge into a new direction.

Before…

	***

…a side note on conversations on this list:

Part of my personal „Practice of Peace“ (which is the name of the first book by Harrison I read and the one that impacted me the most) involves having as little „who is right -who is wrong“ conversations as possible. My preference is exploring, sharing, co-creating. I seek to contribute to that by the language I use.

Many summers ago, I learned about Percept Language <https://liveconscious.com/about/respeak/>. Which I understand as a way of speaking that acknowledges how we create our reality, moment to moment. I imagine that we all perceive differently, and I actually cannot say how something „is“ but just how it is „for me“. (For those interested in exploring this take on language, also check out E-Prime <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Prime>.)

Speaking not in „this is how it IS“ but in „this is what I PERCEIVE“ is so unusual in our cultural—hardly anyone does it. I consciously practice this habit all the time, since 15 years, and I stumble daily. Yet I make myself hopeful with acknowledging my progress!

The setup of OST doesn’t include „who is right - who is wrong?" Instead OST invites people to post all the topics that are uniquely meaningful to them. Those which got stirred up in the context of an overall theme.

If I had it my way ;-) conversations on this list reflect that spirit of diversity and non-judgement. Of acknowledging how we all perceive through our individual lenses.

	***

Back to my invitation:

This topic has been explored on this list before. Many times. I know.
So to make it fresh, I wanna give it two nudges:

	* What does holding space involve... for me personally?

	Let’s share in any way that suits us, be it words, poetic, via music, painting or…
	And see what wildly colourful picture we can co-create!
	I’ll also contemplate on this anew. Space is open... for you! :-)

	* Do I make a difference between holding space for an OST as a 1-time-event (like an annual conference)
	compared to an OST as part of a conscious organisational transformation?
	If so, in which way?

	I imagine the latter can be of special interest to all who are into organisational transformation.

	***

And before I close, here is an additional invitation for to those who

	- think globally
	- see themselves as leaders of some kind
	- and appreciate a space for emergence:

The Global Oasis for Emerging Leaders is coming up: August 26 / Sept 24 / Oct 9...
To whomever that is interesting, check it out here <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/global-oasis-for-emerging-leaders-tickets-58880372780>

Greetings,
Marai

Joyful Together
Liberating Joy at Work
phone: +49 171-810 7161
www.about.me <http://about.me/maraikiele>

Virtual: Join the monthly
Global Oasis for Emerging Leaders <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/global-oasis-for-emerging-leaders-tickets-58880372780>
In person: Join the OLS in Berlin, Nov 18 - 20, 2019
Open Leadership Symposium Berlin <https://openleadershipnetwork.com/events/2019-berlin/>