[OSList] What is y/our biggest vision for OST ?

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Fri Mar 2 13:43:12 PST 2018

Hi All,

I'd put myself in the same group as Chris and Birgitt.  I follow the Guide
and don't ever hesitate to open space in weird circumstances that require
some adaptation.  Making those adaptations is where skillful practice comes
in, which requires understanding and embodying the patterns that make up
the practice.  I once had someone tell me I was not doing open space
correctly because the sessions I framed were not 90 minutes long, among
other transgressions.

If there's an OST 1.0 and 2.0, I'd suggest it's as simple as 1.0 is
cookbook and 2.0 is framework.  And everything after that is just practice,
learning, local adaptation.  I find talking about versions is too limiting,
as it suggests a linear evolution, which is in my experience not how
learning and open space work.  There isn't any room in OS for posting a
topic that "somebody" should address, only topics that "I care about and
will address."  In the same way, it seems not very interesting to talk
about what should be happening with OS or OST in the world.  What is really
interesting and exciting is sharing what you and I are actually doing (or
trying, wanting, hoping to do) in and with OS.  That, to me, is where my
and our practice(s) grows and evolves.

Over time, I think there are as many versions of open space as there are
people who care and dare to open space wherever they are.  And then, one
version for everywhere they do it.  Fr. Brian Bainbridge (who I'd say was
one of the most important people in the story of open space in the world,
and one of my own greatest teachers) once told me he used to read a little
bit from the User's Guide every morning before he facilitated an OS event.
He also told me about convening serial wednesday morning open spaces.  He
once opened space on stage in an auditorium and had conveners passing
across that stage and posting/announcing topics on a board there -- then
had no breakouts.  He just let the people hear all the ideas that wanted to
be addressed and left them to it in hallway conversations.  He ran his
parish as an open space gathering.  And in some years made 600-700 "house
visits," just knocking on the doors of parishioners to meet them where they
really lived.

I remember talking with Brian about "Letting Go," what he saw as the
essence of open space.  So how do we open new and improved space in the
world?  How do we go about improving or increasing the amount of letting go
that is going on in the world?  What are the issues and opportunities for
letting go of versions, growth and improvement?  What are the issues and
opportunities for letting go of open space?  Or are we letting go of
letting go?

Michael

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

http://MichaelHerman.com
http://OpenSpaceWorld.org

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 1:01 AM, Tonnie van der Zouwen via OSList <