[OSList] OSList Digest, Vol 82, Issue 3 re: conflict, conflict resolution, avoidance and Open Space

Chris Corrigan chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 20:38:30 PST 2018

I’ve been really enjoying this conversation.

I have indeed been part of conflict resolutions where there was constrained space to move. Mediation on a job and litigation as well as restorative practice (conflict resolution circles). I believe that working with constraints is a high art of leadership.  And even in Open Space there are still constraints.  I certainly just advocate for being honest about what those are. We can have governing constraints (like rules, i.e. the meeting will end at 5pm) and enablisgin constraints, like the principles and the law of two feet.  But nothing ever happens without a container.

So given that, how we work with constraints and build a container matters.  I have run Open Spaces where there were fewer degrees of freedom than others (of course participants could always call whatever conversation they wanted to, but the management of the organization got to define areas they could resource and act on).

The original question was about Dave Snowden’s criticism of how the law of two feet operates in spaces where conflict is important. This can mean any kind situation where a group of people needs to hear a contrary point of view in order to act wisely.  In many places these days, folks just walk away from people who’s opinions they find odious.  This kind of conflict avoidance creates massive division and “echo chamber’ behaviour.  Even calling an open space meeting is a kind of narrowing of the constraints and degrees of freedom such that people need to encounter one another.

For innovation work, testing, criticizing and breaking new ideas is an invaluable part of the creative process.  Working away on one’s own without dissenting points of view can create something that is vulnerable to the myriad blind spots that we operate from.

Conflict is not a bad thing. Working well with time and space as constraints helps us to collectively move through it.  Sometimes that means opening up that time and space and sometimes it means narrowing it down.

I also miss Father Brian in these kinds of conversations.  I suspect he’d say something like “it’s all good” and then give a little wink and a smile.

Chris