[OSList] on context [was Open Space in Charlottesville]

Michael M Pannwitz via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Sep 7 07:59:40 PDT 2017

Dear Raffi,

reading your last two lines it seems you are out of cents!

Good to hear from you and from Birgitt at just about the same time.

For 60 years I have been reading "The Progressive"... and for many years
I have the yearly "Hidden History of the United States" calendar on my
desk. Yesterday, it tells me, Jane Addams was born (1860), today the
Women protest Miss America Pageant took place (1968) and tomorrow the
Delano, CA, grape workers strike began (1965) which I vividly remember
as a consumer boycotting table grapes in my neighborhood Safeway in Los
Angeles (there is a writeup on the Delano grape strike in wikipedia
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delano_grape_strike
So, thats my context, at least part of it.

Having lived in Europe again since 1972 I am amazed about the
rediscovery of regional and local context... some of it age old but
attaining new attention and concrete shape such as currently in the
secession movement in Spain which the central government is trying to
stop with all means available.

 From an ost point of view, looking at the preconditions for a favorable
climate for selforganisation to unfold, I think - among others - of
"diversity". Regularly, I observed that ost events that I was a part of
benefited in often amazing wayys when diversity was high. Of course,
folks planning such events were sensitive to this aspect.
Different contexts being part of (any) event are very beneficial if not
necessary. That, and the other preconditions, make ost events not only
unique but successful. As far as I can tell, there is no substitute or
surrogate.

Back to your books etc.: Whatever happens anywhere, it needs those
different contexts, such as the "11 different regional cultures" in the
USA or the 12 City Districts of Berlin, or the influx of migrants (a
centuries old characterictic of Berlin, for instance) --- without
differences the systems we create evaporate.

Greetings from Berlin
Hope you make it here some day
cheers
mmp

PS: Please have a look at yourself here in the World Map
> http://www.openspaceworldmap.org/worker/raffi-aftandelian

You are hard to recognize! With the selforganized Content Management
System you can have a new picture in the Map, in a jiffy.

Michael M Pannwitz
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
++49 - 30-772 8000
mmpannwitz at gmail.com

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 443 resident Open
Space Workers in 69 countries working in a total of 144 countries worldwide
www.openspaceworldmap.org

Here you find books and task cards on open space, most in German, some
in English, some as ebooks, some multilingual
https://www.westkreuz-verlag.de/de/Kommunikation