[OSList] Brett Wood Podcast

Michael M Pannwitz via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sun May 21 01:26:49 PDT 2017

Dear HO,

is there an answer to your question at the end of your note below
"What is this justification for this travesty?"

Do we want to know? Are we willing to face it?

Neither do I have THE answer nor am I sure that there is THE answer.

Gunnar Hjelholt, the fellow who founded social psychology in Denmark,
spent time in a forced labor camp in Germany as a young man toward the
end of WWII. Reflections on that experience were published many years
later in: "Survival in the Organization".

Two quotes (page 84..):

"Where do Systems Come From?
In the Jewish narrative of creation, the creation of man is mentioned
twice. The first time it is said that God created us equal to all other
creation, that is, like nature: Everything which has to do with simple
survival. The second time it is added that Bod created us in his image,
that is, as spirit. People are nature and spirit and the two elements
either struggle with each other or work together.
Once mankind had been made in this way, it then created the organization
  -  in its image.
The wording "in its image", means that we can not create something that
does not have its roots in ourselves; and it appears as if what we do,
over and over again, is related to simple survival -  to "nature" rather
than "spirit".
The organization of the concentration camp (forced labor camp) was not
significantly different from that of other systems we have developed
over time. The stay in Porta (the forced labor camp) may have made it
easier for me to understand how people carry that organization within
them, in all kinds of work-related settings."

further on he writes:

"The theme that I keep coming back to has to do with the system versus
the individual. The oppressive hierarchy. Is it really necessary? And I
am still astonished that there is room for humanity there, under those
circumstances."

and later he adds (under the heading: "The Concentration Camp as an
Organizational Prototype"):

"If you choose instead to become a part of the system, you risk becoming
a supporter, a Kapo. The Kapos were preoccupied with their own survival,
above all else. That is what Vincent Lind calls dealing with the Devil."

Here the interviewers interrupt by asking:

"There we have the Devil again. What would a system look like if God had
created it?"
Gunnars remark to this question:
"I have been trying to figure that out ever since. However we will have
to save that for another time."

This is the last senctence of this book.

So, to me, the "justification" you asked for, or the "reason", I would
ask, seems to be fairly clear in the context of what Gunnar has to
say... it has to do with the prevalence of the nature part of us that
creates oppressive systems.

The mystery remains, what would a system look like if God had created it?

Has he created selforganization? Are we not extremely successfull
fencing in and controlling selforganization in the sense we talk about
it in the context of OST? Is selforganization closer to the spirit part
of us?

Greetings from Berlin
mmp

---

Michael M Pannwitz
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
++49 - 30-772 8000
mmpannwitz at gmail.com

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 440 resident Open
Space Workers in 69 countries working in a total of 144 countries worldwide
www.openspaceworldmap.org

Here you find books and task cards on open space, most in German, some
in English, some as ebooks, some multilingual
https://www.westkreuz-verlag.de/de/Kommunikation