[OSList] Open Space Outdoors

Birgitt Williams via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu May 11 11:02:33 PDT 2017

This reminds me of a moment of great laughter, The setting was Highland,
North Carolina for the Organizational Transformation conference, I think
1997. It was a conference that was a turning point in my life in so many
ways I cannot list them all. Of greatest note is I met Chandra Christianson
there, we became close friends after she walked across the circle and said
'I would like to get to know you', and she eventually introduced me to one
of her dearest friends Ward...whom I married in 2000 which then resulted in
my move from Ontario, Canada to Raleigh, North Carolina and ultimately to
becoming a US citizen.

It was also the event at which I met Barry Owen for the first time, out in
some rocking chairs, and we instantly became fast friends. Barry also has
been influential in my life in so many great ways, including a BIG lesson
in facing a fear....he visited us in Canada, we went for a hike, and as I
started sliding down a very ice covered hill with a dangerous fall off to
one side, I was overwhelmed by fear. In that very calm way that Barry has,
he scooted down the hill to catch up to me, and stayed by my side the whole
way down, not rescuing me in any way but encouraging me inch by inch saying
'Birgitt, you can do it...face your fear and just do it'. Barry was also a
catalyst in my meeting Ward. I flew to Tennessee to attend his wedding on a
Feb 13 in 1999. It was such a short trip from there to Chandra in North
Carolina, a bit of a detour on my way back to Canada. And it was on that
trip and that detour that I met Ward.

I had lots of surprises in that OST event! Transformative in the extreme!

So, now back to the funny moment that caused me laughter. In an early
morning walk at the crack of dawn, I and friends walked past the big white
tent that our OST meeting was in. We peered through the windows sure we had
seen something inside. And indeed there was someone even at that early
hour. It was Harrison and he was rescuing reports and agenda items.
Overnight there had been so much dew that everything had fallen off of the
walls. Harrison was hard at work so that everything would be in top notch
shape when we all arrived. The laughter by those of us who were close
friends of his was the acknowledgement that he secretly worked much harder
than he ever let on!

A good time was had by all,
Birgitt

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 1:29 PM Daniel Mezick via OSList <

> Greetings Chad,
>
> Regarding Open Space outside:
>
> Some years ago I did arrange an OST event for outside. We used one of
> those tents you can rent with the white tops and roll-down sides with the
> little plastic windows (in case of wind or rain.) You can rent big round
> ones, or big, rectangle-shaped ones.
>
> One thing that worked good was blue-taping the OST posters to a piece of
> cardboard cut from a large box. We took that and then duct-taped it to each
> of the tent poles. That actually worked pretty good-- they did not fall
> down or spin or flap around or anything like that. The duct tape held good.
>
> So you might want to try this also, that is, if you are also getting a big
> tent for your event.
>
> Materials:
>
>    - Posters
>    - Blue tape
>    - Duct tape
>    - Cardboard backing (cut from a larger box) for the posters
>
> Marketplace:
>
> We used a big white board on wheels and wheeled it out to the meeting
> area, and put the marketplace on that. This also worked great.
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel
>
> On 5/5/17 8:40 PM, Michael Herman via OSList wrote:
>
> you might search the archives for "beach" ...and you should find ralph
> copleman's query years ago for ideas for dealing with the challenges of
> seaside open space.
>

> --
>
> Michael Herman
> Michael Herman Associates
> 312-280-7838 <(312)%20280-7838> (mobile)
>
> http://MichaelHerman.com
> http://OpenSpaceWorld.org
>

> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Chad Clippingdale via OSList <
>
>> I'm interested in learning about people's experience of
>> hosting/facilitating open space outdoors, specifically in more remote
>> locations. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Chad

>> Past archives can be viewed here:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/oslist@lists.openspacetech.org

> --
> Daniel Mezick
> Culture Strategist. Author. Keynoter.
> (203) 915 7248 <(203)%20915-7248>. Bio. <http://www.DanielMezick.com/>
> Blog. <http://www.NewTechUSA.net/blog/> Twitter.
> <https://twitter.com/DanielMezick>
> Book: The Culture Game. <http://theculturegame.com/>
> Book: The OpenSpace Agility Handbook.
> <http://www.amazon.com/OpenSpace-Agility-Handbook-Daniel-Mezick/dp/0984875336>
> Past archives can be viewed here:

Birgitt Williams

President & Senior Consultant of Dalar International Consultancy, Inc.

http://www.dalarinternational.com

Co-founder of the Extraordinary Leadership Network
http://www.extraordinaryleadershipnetwork.com

Co-founder of the Genuine Contact™program and author of The Genuine Contact
Way: Nourishing a Culture of Leadership
http://www.genuinecontactway.com

Co-owner of the Genuine Contact Co-owners Group Ltd.
http://www.genuinecontact.net

*Supporting leadership development for leading in a culture requiring
agility and flexibility in a performance environment of constant change.*

Leadership development at your own pace? Become a member of the
Extraordinary Leadership Network
http://www.extraordinaryleadershipnetwork.com to participate in an online
leadership development program designed to increase the leadership skills
and capacity you need to perform in a performance environment of constant
change.

PO Box 19373, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA 27619

phone: 1-919-522-7750