[OSList] Facilitation Survey

Bhavesh Patel via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sun Mar 19 06:16:28 PDT 2017

Hi Michael,

I copied this from the IAF website:
https://www.iaf-world.org/site/professional/cpf

*"At the far right, the facilitator controls the process and does not
provide content. The facilitator works with their client and/or group to
define a session purpose and output. Session outputs are usually defined by
a desired outcome (e.g. a strategic plan, a decision, ideas generation) but
the specific content is the responsibility of the group. Facilitators at
this end of the spectrum can facilitate a session where they have no
content knowledge. Their role becomes strictly one of helping the group
manage the information they already possess, or can access, to achieve a
necessary result in a timely and collaborative manner."*

So OST definitely sits outside the mainstream view of facilitation,
although the pre-work with the client fits within it.

Even 'walking together for a stretch' doesn't quite capture it, especially
if you are holding onto your chair as a way of controlling the need to
control!

Holding space, caring for the space, being present and invisible, etc get
closer and also start to sound a bit mystical... the Art of Hosting use the
word hosting...

Maybe it is easier not to consider OST as part of the world of facilitation?

Smiles Bhav...

On 18 March 2017 at 20:14, Michael M Pannwitz via OSList <