[OSList] Research OST

Michael M Pannwitz via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Wed Mar 1 05:44:27 PST 2017

Dear Jan,

reading you review I was reminded of the Quakers initiatives after WWII
in Berlin. They founded half a dozen Community Centers. In 1973 and the
years after I was in contact with one of the centers (in the then
American Sector of Westberlin) and experienced their work and approach.
In this particular community center (Mittelhof) conditions were perfect
for introducing Community Organizing which was brandnew in Berlin in the
early seventies.
One of the recurrent challenges was the hunch that selforganisation of
communities could not really be and did not need to be organized. Out of
this the "community organizers", me included, figured out what I would
now put into the bag "Action Research" a way to "organize" ourselves in
our attempt to find out how our work as community organizers should be
conducted.
The result was what we then called "Collegiate Counselling". Basically,
it was a time, task and roll structured process which I now know was
very similar to open space (which I heard about as such 23 years later
running into HO and The Lady Who Walked to the North Pole at an
os-training in England).
We had taken great care to "exclude" professional guidance,
professionals from the Schools of Social Work considered to be part of
the establishment and chose "selforganisation", that which we had tried
to organize in the communities we were working in. Subconsciously, we
know that this was an oxymoron.
Ok, long story.
Point is, that "research" along the Quaker line, is what I think OST is
the best approach to without formally being a Quaker. Taking our own
technology to delve into the investigation of our work. We often do
that, for instance during the WOSonOS or in the many other events we
designed to bring out more questions about our art and what is behind it.
Having interviews before, during, after and a while later to get some
light on some aspects of an OST event was done very well with the
"US-West" video, also a while back. It can be had as a video or
digitalized from the OSI USA. Hereis the intro

"US West Open Space- (available on DVD, VHS and PAL) – 16 minute video.
If picturing or describing an Open Space event is difficult for you,
this video gives you a feel for the experience. It takes you from the
beginning of an event held by US WEST through its completion. It also
follows several participants back into the work place. In addition,
Harrison Owen, originator of Open Space Technology, describes the
basics. Through participant interviews, scenes from the event and
explanations by Harrison, you will begin to understand the potential of
Open Space Technology. Price: US$40 (now available on YouTube)"

Here is the link
> http://openspaceworld.org/wp2/explore/books-videos/

Have a great day and thanks Jan for getting my old brain into recalling
the old days

Peace
mmp