[OSList] Globalization, open space and Open Space ! ?

Harrison Owen via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sun Jan 8 07:00:30 PST 2017

Globalization. For some people this word describes Opportunity. For others,
Disaster. Both are correct, I believe.

Stripped to essence, Globalization means that the artificial (as in manmade)
barriers and boundaries which divide our planet are dissolving, thereby
revealing our natural, global unity. For better or for worse. Nation States,
Business Enterprises, Tribal Territories, Religions, Cultures .. Are all
becoming more porous, interconnected, and increasingly irrelevant to the
emerging life form of Homo sapiens - otherwise known as Us, and the way we
live.

Nobody planned  Globalization, nobody runs it, although lots of folks are
claiming credit or passing blame. The actual causes are multiple, including
the Internet, global transportation, telephones, TV, FAX, the printing
press, etc, etc. to name just a few. But the really funny part is  --
Globalization is nothing new. We have always been one planet/globe - a fact
the astronauts recognized with some wonder and shock. Seen from space, none
of the barriers and boundaries, which seem so important to us, show up. They
are all in our mind. You might think of Globalization as a psychosomatic
healing! It might also be that we are simply getting back to normal.

The Disaster/Opportunity Reactions are real and important. When all of the
defining characteristics of our world become fuzzy or invisible - it is
incredibly hard to know who you are. And if nobody and nothing tells you who
you are, I guess that is real open space. Terrifying! A genuine Disaster --
with capital "D." It is no wonder that those who find themselves in such a
mess (which is pretty much all of us) are angry, aggressive, apparently
irrational - and willing to listen to anybody who promises Stability and the
"Return to the Normal." As in, "Make America (or choose another country)
Great Again!"

For those viewing Globalization as an Opportunity - that too is real. The
elimination of illusory barriers and boundaries offers the potential for a
radical increase of efficiency, effectiveness, and profitability (if those
are your goals) as well as creativity and the capacity share the load and
support our fellows in times of need. When the full diversity of humanity is
brought to bear on the issues at hand, the collective power is immense.

But there is a serious caveat.

This is not an Either/Or.

Both/And.For sure!

The Opportunity is real. The Disaster also. Both are present. Both must be
dealt with.

Perhaps this sounds novel and shocking - but truthfully the recognition of
this polarity is ancient. The Yin and the Yang, Shiva as creator and
destroyer, The Chinese symbol for Chaos combines two symbols, Disaster and
Opportunity, I'm told. To which we might add the modern newcomer,
Chaos/Emergence Theory. Old story in new attire.

So what do you do?

I think our 32 year experiment with Open Space offers some suggestions. At
least it might be a good place to start the conversation.

Interested?

Harrison

Winter Address

7808 River Falls Dr.