[OSList] metaphorum: a clean language one-day online gathering

Bhavesh Patel via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Sep 1 00:55:24 PDT 2016

​​Hi Michael,

Yes I would agree that experiencing how clean language and clean coaching
works is important, and then clean space as well. It is a bit like open
space, some people just don't get it until they jump in and then in makes
sense in the first minutes!

The clean approach that I experienced really made sense to me because of my
open space experience. Open space supports the force of self-organisation
in groups, clean language supports the force of self-organisation in
individuals.

Let me try to explain my understanding of it. Normal coaching approaches
are quite directive, like many facilitation processes. They involve a
series of steps, usually starting with goal identification, and then
questions are used as a way of controlling the process and therefore the
person to some extent. There are times when this is useful, and other times
when it is not.

The clean approach recognises that we are deeply complex individuals with
all sorts of stuff going on inside. We are influenced by so much internal
and external stuff of which we are only slightly aware and out of all that
comes that small part of reality that we are conscious of!!! So WHO KNOWS
how it all works, we barely know ourselves... and then add to that all the
cognitive science pattern detecting biases that we have.

One way to work with a complex adaptive system called a person is to use
symbolic language / metaphor. Words will never describe that deep complex
reality of ourselves, however metaphors probably get the closest to
expressing it because they can hold so much more than explicit descriptions
can. Abstraction rather than explicitness may be much more important than
we presently recognise when it comes to human learning.

So the clean approach has 9 very light content free questions that provide
just enough minimal structure to support a person work with their dynamic
self-organising complexity through noticing their metaphorical landscape
from which emerges self, meaning, and all else.

Clean does not attempt to define a goal and reach an action plan like most
coaching does. It starts wherever the client wants to start, and even
starts wherever the client wants to sit down, and even how they want to sit
down, if they want to! Once it starts the coach simply asks the relevant
question from the 9, and then sees the response and then based on that asks
the next question, and the client ends up wherever they end up by the end
of the session.

So if someone is wondering if you can use open space with one person in a
coaching context, the clean approach gets close to it.

As I said that is my take on it. Here is an article with the two people I
spent 3 days with: http://www.cleanlanguage.co.uk/CleanLanguage.html

Smiles Bhav...