[OSList] Sacred Space

Birgitt Williams via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Oct 27 08:11:10 PDT 2016

Dear friends and colleagues,
I have had the great joy and privilege of working as a leadership
development/organizational development consultant in India for a total of a
few years divided up in a number of trips based on the needs of the
projects we were working on. And to add to my joy and privilege, the work
for a number of different organizations, was to assist with an
organizational transformation. This is my favorite kind of work especially
when the leaders are progressive leaders who understand that sometimes we
need to go back and re-create at the foundation, going down into the roots,
and then using the intelligences of the individuals involved, including
collective intelligence found in groups, to find our way. In other words,
as consultants we didn't have the answers and were not expected to....we
trust that change must come from within the organization, and that the
answers are there.

Meetings were an essential part of every transformation...as a catalyst, as
a source for tapping into collective intelligence, to engage, to mobilize,
and to develop awareness of the results in progress and celebrate. We used
1. Open Space Technology
2. Whole Person Process Facilitation (online training coming up Nov 14-16)
3. Cross Cultural Conflict Resolution (online training coming up Nov 17-18)

All three allow us to work with and from open space. You might say we
opened a lot of space and miracles happened.

We almost always use Whole Person Process Facilitation as a container, as
well as a method of facilitation. It is both. When used as a container, the
people feel a cognitive coherence for the whole process even if we use a
sequence of different methods within the container. In other words, using
WPPF as a container for a week, we might include three different OST
meetings, one per day, within this container...and it all feels coherent
even with so much going on.

one of the many reasons I love working in India is that there has not been
a separation between Spirit and Business. I have attended 'pujas' in
offices with the whole staff present...the holy man brought in for the
purpose to officiate. No one takes offense when we speak of matters of
Spirit. When we are asked 'what are we opening space for?', we answer 'for
the Divine to work with us'. And so this is 'sacred space' in our
organization? 'Yes', it is sacred space.

I hope you will join us in learning Whole Person Process Facilitation and
Cross Cultural Conflict Resolution to add to your repertoire of opening
space.

Blessings to all,
Birgitt