[OSList] Roving reporter at WOSonOS2016

Suzanne Daigle via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Fri Nov 4 15:13:50 PDT 2016

*Re: Manila Delights*

Dear fellow Open Spacers,

Just now I sent a note to colleagues at OSI US sharing with them the latest
news about WOSonOS2016 -- a way of thanking them for becoming one of the
most recent sponsors for this wonderful gathering.

Without editing it in any way what I wrote to them, I'll share it with you
all too.  What I've tried to describe is really what is at the heart of the
work that we all do, sharing, collaborating and learning together. The host
team at SEAMEO INNOTECH are taking it to a whole other level.  It's so
beautiful to see this happen beyond our borders, taking the essence of open
space to their word in service to Southeast Asia.

I'll always remember that Harrison (and those pioneers who were with him
then)  never chose to franchise or certify Open Space. All that he asked of
us is that we share our stories and learnings. Well in the face of such
amazing work by a highly dedicated and diverse team, I just can't stop
writing and sharing.  It's the stuff that's happening on the ground in
daily life that I thrive on and feel so privileged to see in person.

*Dearest OSI US colleagues,*

Life in Manila has been a dream. Or more precisely, life at pre-WOSonOS2106
has been ...as I have not ventured far from Seameo Innotech immersed as
they are in the last minute planning and an already full plate of work and
projects. This weekend plans are to be a tourist with Sharon Joy at a
beautiful neighboring town Tagaytay, home to the smallest active volcano in
the world, plopped in the middle of an Island.

You have all been on my mind, present with me, as I blend in with them,
sitting at my own work station in their open office design. In addition to
WOSonOS they have 3 or 4 major programs coming up in the next 2 to 3 weeks,
important strategic initiatives where they will be welcoming major
delegations.

Their unique mission of Seameo Innotech <http://www.seameo-innotech.org/#> as
part of a larger organization made up of 11 member countries is to:
"Facilitate teaching and learning through innovative and technology based
research and training solutions in order to fully develop the potentials of
the peoples of Southeast Asia".

Through Gail West's mentoring and others  Sharon Joy Chao and her small
team have been bringing Open Space and Open Space thinking to their center.
I feel it at every level of the organization - including the typical
underground service  functions that are often so invisible yet where action
real happens.

I almost feel like I'm in a continuous break-out working with them. No
apparent hierarchy and tons of shared leadership with a continuous stream
of creativity and work that happens so efficiently and productively.  Trust
me I recognize this having spent a long career in manufacturing and
corporate life.

At a time when our two countries have become magnets of controversy, it
seems utterly surreal to see such levels of excellence around me. And
what's most beautiful of all, is their humility, always hungry to learn
from others and showering them with such high regard (me included) when in
fact it is I who am learning the most.  I also smile at being called "mam"
all the time which is how they also address many others.

You have probably seen the beautiful Open Space graphics that a small team
of 4 (a few of whom had no clue about Open Space until recently).  I think
it is among the best work I've ever seen explaining in few words and images
the history, the principles and so much more about Open Space. It is my
understanding that after the conference they will gift these back for use
to our entire world community of Open Space facilitators for their use. I
think this is the beginning of more collaboration to come.

Anyway as you can I can not help but gush. I'll probably do the same on the
OS list and also some of this will find its way on the Open Space on the
Open Road blog <https://openspaceontheopenroad.com/category/open-space/> that
I created recently, a place where I can post stories, images and happenings
about this trip.

*The good news is that a 100 participant attendee* list is in plain sight
right now based on Friday's projections and the number continues to grow as
often happens in Open Space in the last days and weeks.   I have been
putting feelers out there to reach out to the Agile and Scrum communities
and would of course love to see more business folks. If any of you can
spread the world that would be great.

Sharon Joy had asked me if I might not facilitate a one-day workshop on
Agile beyond Software for her team of 15. Little could I have guessed that
this offering would be bundled with WOSonOS serving as an attractor for the
conference. I think that number has grown to 40 and counting. I'm thrilled.
It will be a taste of Agile/Scrum/Agile honoring our pioneering colleagues
who have embraced the same self-organizing values of Open Space with
execution tools that would greatly help the world of management breakaway
from too much hierarchy and control.

Well as I started writing this at 4 in the morning I did not expect to
write as much. I hope that some, many or most of you may pop in at the QiQoChat
house <http://openspace.qiqochat.com/> during the conference.  Their plan
is to live stream the opening and closing circle, to also stream on
Facebook Live. Michael Herman working with the WOSonOS team has arranged
for lots of cool things including ways to blend the virtual reports and
on-site newsroom activities. To date not too many registered but we'll keep
inviting and inventing.

Suzanne

Suzanne Daigle
Open Space Facilitator