[OSList] Open Space Technology Training in Vancouver June 2-3, 2016

Chris Corrigan via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Mar 31 07:39:09 PDT 2016

Quick thoughts.

Preparation and especially the work of involving leadership and those with power and influence is what makes any strategic conversation actually strategic. So for me, like you and like Lisa Heft too, teaching OST in the context of good pre work and good design is essential. Learning how to work with OST in context and without compromising its potential and impact is a key aspect of using the process well in most strategic contexts.

On the term "holding space," much like the Tao itself, it disappears when you name it, but of course it is one way to describe the practice of doing not-doing, or being totally present and completely invisible. This is a radical break with how most people are taught to understand "facilitation" and so having a different name for the practice is helpful to disrupt expectations. Also the term "holding space" is very much present in the literature and people often ask me about this practice. That is the reason I wrote the Tao of Holding Space in the first place. You will also notice that I use the term "facilitation" too because the world defies an easy categorization of the practice of presence.

As for the OS/OST debate, I do find that the semantic discussion of these terms is important in a limited context. Very few people who call me up these days ask for an "Open Space Technology" meeting. Most ask for Open Space. Some ask for Open Source meetings and still others are interested in "that Open Concept thing you do."  I love the story of how "Technology" got appended to the name because it says something about how people whimsically use language. This was never a thought out decision but rather a spontaneous improvement that fit a particular context in the moment. And it stuck.

So I try not to get too orthodox about it because I find that most people outside of us very few practitioners don't really think about the distinctions and at any rate "Open Space" did fine before it instantly became a "Technology" and still does fine to describe the process. Everyone does get a chuckle out of the stories though. Using the terms interchangeably (rather than either/or) helps me to normalize the process and makes it accessible to people who are not inclined in the moment to have a theological discussion about the name of our meeting format. Normalizing and bringing ease to the use of the method and the way we talk about it is indeed something I've thought a great deal about.

I'm looking forward to the workshop. It's been more than ten years since I've taught this method in this deep dive format. We have 20 or so already registered and I think our time together will be rich and interesting.

Chris.

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Harvest Moon Consultants