[OSList] A Little tremor...

Harrison Owen via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sun Jun 26 04:58:18 PDT 2016

Dan  -- sounds to me like you are missing the other half (Clearly, missing
something important). A short way of describing Self Organization for me has
been: A Dance between Chaos and Order - neither one nor the other but rather
the constant movement between the two. A more formal version comes from Ilya
Prigogine who noted that systems, seemingly existing in a steady state
(order), suddenly find themselves pushed by the environment well beyond
their equilibrium. At that point, they do one of two things. They either go
poof (dissipate) - or self organize at new and higher levels of complexity.
The language is a little stiff, but it seems to me a rather cogent
description of the present situation. Since World War II, the world has held
a rather definite shape. Definite bumps here and there, but generally
speaking we "knew" what was going on, and when things got a little crazy, we
knew how to fix it.

Now it seems that things have rather gotten beyond all that. Our "fixes"
seem to be creating more problems than solutions. And one might argue that
we are right at that point between "poof" and "self organization at new and
higher levels of complexity." Interesting times with a single certainty.
Whatever order there was is definitely out of order. and the new order has
yet to manifest.

Amongst other things, it seems like a grand time for the deep question, the
one for which there is no answer - Just the Question. One might call it open
space.

Harrison