[OSList] A Little tremor...

Birgitt Williams via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sat Jun 25 15:14:06 PDT 2016

Hi Michael,
I like what you say about being aware of the work of grief...that just
happens.

I think it is a useful conversation to assist others develop this
awareness. It usually helps them.

I continue to be grateful to Harrison for inserting 'open space' into a
fairly standard grief cycle picture, capturing beautifully an ideal moment
in the grief cycle of any community of people when it is extremely useful
to offer some open space, facilitate an Open Space Technology meeting. We
know not everyone goes through the grief cycle at the same pace in response
to a shared event...however, it is possible to see where a critical mass
might be.

We can be of great service as facilitators of OST in this right timing as
people come to grips with their changing world.

I have thought about what you have said about being positional in your work
as facilitator. At first, I felt 'of course'. And then I thought about it
some more. I am less sure if this is true for me. I am engaged by the
sponsor, who opens the space in his/her organization or community. I have a
job to do with some basics of technique for opening, marketplace creation
etc. Easy-peasy...usually. I feel enormous love and belief in the people
that they will do just what they need to do within the container opened for
them. Am I feeling positionality in relation to my job as facilitator? Does
it take me effort to do 'nothing' with the exception of loving the people
and trusting them? Thank you for leading me into some good reflection.

Warmly,
Birgitt