[OSList] OST for big changes in company

Daniel Mezick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Jun 6 07:55:35 PDT 2016

Greetings All,

This thread is interesting to me.

When I started paying attention to OST, I noticed that participation in
the event was “by invitation” and that OST events by definition cannot
mandate anyone's participation.

For me, that took awhile to grasp. I learned that an essential feature
of OST is the authentic invitation, one where the “no, thank you” is
genuinely respected.

Since then, I continue to try to learn more about invitation. And then
this thread appears.

Karolina says “…some time ago *they decided* to make a major change…”
and that this change“…most probably a. will make quite some people in
the company experience negative emotions and b. *is coming quite
unexpectedly.*”

So it appears that the last chapter of this big-company story is already
written. Right? The higher-ups are calling the tune.

They are the de facto authors of the new story. The ending is already
written...

Hmm. As Harrison has previously explained in the Wave Rider book (pg 132...)

“...High Play is the antidote to dogmatic thinking and therefore an
essential companion to High Learning. It is also fun.

"In [some organizations], play is strictly prohibited, for after all
there is work to be done, and it is always very serious. Even worse,
Play, almost by definition, is out of control – which is what makes it
fun. *Can you imagine anything worse than playing a game where the
results are always known in advance? Boring!”*

And so I like also what Bhavesh says. Is this heresy? If so, I like it:

"...*Maybe there is more work to be done* in presenting and processing
the information together to reach a point where *everyone understands
what is happening* and why, and can raise their questions and concerns,
and *can be listened to*, etc, and when that phase is over, to then
explore where we go from here within the given constraints, and then
having clarified the theme/scope, go into OST?"

A sort of add-on to this idea, is the idea that we can invite the folks
to "try the contemplated change on, to act as if", or to "suspend
disbelief," as an experiment. An experiment to be inspected. With
nothing set in stone- yet. We can issue an invitation to write the new
story and be a character in the new story. This is one of the essentials
of agile thinking, the idea that nothing is set in stone, everything is
to be inspected, and the awkward learning from that is then rolled into
the next awkward chapter of the (emerging) story.

But that's far too ambiguous. Dangerous too. After all, who knows how it
might end?

Daniel Mezick
Culture Strategist. Author. Keynoter.
(203) 915 7248. Bio. <http://www.DanielMezick.com/> Blog.